Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New to the 6.0

2K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  EB313 
#1 ·
So I got (what I think was) a good deal on an '03 F250 with a 6.0 in it but I need to get it worthy of a couple hundred thousand more miles past it's current 190k. The truck is super clean and drives great but I know the issues the early 6.0's had and need to address them. I have $3500 to spend now and will do more later, what are the first steps? Should I do the EGR and oil cooler from Bullet proof? From what I have read so far that is the most critical, follower by the FICM and upgrading the fuel delivery, am I on the right track? So what would you do in my shoes with the budget I have for now?

#4 ·
I agree with lastcaveman, i dont have the cts i have the CS which is a tad cheaper but is still an amazing investment. Typically a monitor, EGR cooler upgrade/delete, oil cooler, and arp head studs are what is typically recommended. Monitor is first and foremost though because that can let you know if you have underlying issues you need to take care of.

#5 ·
Yup the last 2 guys got it right on the nose. Grab the Edge monitor of your choice and let the truck steer you what way to go. Until you get you basic numbers such as oil temp/coolant temp spread and ficm volts and some others you will just be throwing cash at the truck hoping something sticks.
After that Id figure on changing out all your oils. Front/rear end's. Steering fluid. Brake fluid. Tranny fluid. Transfer case. Engine oil. And trust me thats a pretty good weekend worth of crawling around under the truck.

#6 ·
If you have a android phone or a tablet you can get the Torque App & the ELM 327 blue tooth or wifi OBD2 to monitor your 6.0. Torque App $4.95. ELM 327 Blue Tooth $10.50? (Amazon).

#7 ·
Yeah i hear a few people talk about that torque app, im sure it works ok, and is certainly much cheaper but personally i like having my monitor in the truck and secured down, i wouldnt want to have to drag a tablet around, or mount my phone to see the data. But its all personal preference and if it works thats all that matters.

#8 ·
Reactions: Stiles
#10 ·
Unless they offer the Torque app on the Amazon app store (and I don't think they do), you'd have to do a little bit of hacking to get the Google Play store of your Fire to get it.
How to get the Google Play store on the Kindle Fire HD - CNET
The Edge CS/CTS have the ability to add external sensor inputs for EGT, fuel and oil pressure, which are not available through the OBDII connection and, thusly, are not available in Torque. That said, the CS/CTS can only display up to 8 (I think) gauges at a time. Torque can display 16. It's all personal preference. I'm somewhat of an Android geek, so I am obviously biased. I also like not having wires dangling from the port all the time and I have 4G on my tablet to use the navigation, internet and other capabilities that come with it.

Yes the ELM plugs into the OBDII port, just like the CS/CTS. It just uses Bluetooth for communication instead of wires.

#11 ·
Like G8 said, its all personal preference, do some research on both and go with whatever you feel more comfortable with, both work, but like G* said, you can do egt and other ad ons for the Edge products.

#15 ·
I stand corrected. Thanks.

can you display the monitors and programmers on an in-dash navigation unit or touch screen reciever?
Not that I know of, unless you could possibly mirror the Torque app from a phone/tablet through an AppRadio. That's be kinda cool.

I mentioned the Torque App as a way to monitor your truck now (Cheaply) & spend the money you have now on fixing the truck. Then at a later time you can get a SCT Livewire TS, SCT X4 or Edge or keep using the app the monitor your Hot Rod.
Fixed that for ya. LOL

#14 ·
I mentioned the Torque App as a way to monitor your truck now (Cheaply) & spend the money you have now on fixing the truck. Then at a later time you can get a SCT Livewire TS of Edge or keep using the app the monitor your Hot Rod.

Reactions: G8orFord
#16 ·
I understand the cost thing, that piqued my interest. I spoke with the guys at Power Stroke Performance (PSP) and they said that since my truck's build date was 04/03 it was before the problematic EGR valves. If that is in fact correct then I will be doing the Edge or the Livewire (they recommended it) and upgrade the head unit to navagation.....and leave the other 3 grand in the bank for later

#17 ·
I don't think there is any differentiation between EGR valves on model years or build dates of the 6.0. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. What I have heard is that the early '04 and '03 models had the round EGR cooler and it was more robust and less likely to fail than the later builds. This doesn't mean it won't. The main cause of the EGR cooler rupture is the oil cooler clogging and not allowing sufficient coolant flow through the EGR cooler. This results in the EGR cooler overheating and eventually rupturing, allowing coolant into the intake manifold and cylinders, and usually resulting in a hydrolock condition or blown head gaskets.

This is why you need a good monitor.

#18 ·
From what they told me the EGR valve on the early 03 was the better one and that they changed it in late 03. I understand that the clogging was the issue but from what I understand the early ones didn't have that issue. I also knew the problem with the rupturing, followed by stretching and failing head bolts from the over pressure leading to blown head gaskets.....and yes, I will be getting a monitor this weekend. Livewire, to have the programming capabilities?

#20 ·
Yup That's what they all say:angel: LOL JK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.