Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fan Clutch Questions

13K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Pipewelder71 
#1 ·
Pulling 10K up the mountain at 70mph the other day I noticed my temps spiking and no fan engagement. At 210 ECT and 245 EOT the fan did engage for a couple of seconds. I think it was starting to defuel as the power dropped just before the fan kicked in. I backed out of throttle a little and temps stabalized at 210 and 228. P0480 and P0528 were on the CTS.

So I've been gathering pieces and parts for a coolant system upgrade for some time. I'll check the wiring out but at 190K miles I'm thinking it's time for a fan clutch. Looking for suggestions, comments, experiences with the HD fan clutch, stock fan clutch, pros, cons and where to buy. Anything else related to cooling system upgrade is welcome. I guess I'm gonna have to get on this in the next few weeks.

k

#2 ·
Definitely go with the snow plow fan clutch. Next, have your SCT tune writer add a fan engagement set point for EOT. I know Matt at Gearhead does this if you have a BPD oil cooler. Lastly, do the fan mod switch using upfitter switch #1. Then, if you have a tough grade coming you can lock the fan on full before the hill and start pre-cooling the ECT & EOT. This works very well, as it's easier to hold temps down than it is to try and pull them back down after getting hot.

#4 ·
Yep. Use upfitter #4 to trigger a small normally open relay. When the contacts close the relay completes a ground connection from under the dash to the royal blue wire on the engine side of the fan clutch plug. Use one of the 4 OEM firewall pass through wires to get through the firewall with drilling any holes. Easy Peasy!

#5 ·
what the hell is the snow plow fan clutch

#7 ·
TSB 07-11-5 DIESEL ENGINE - OVERHEATING WITH A SNOW PLOW INSTALLED ON VEHICLES WITHOUT THE FACTORY INSTALLED SNOW PLOW PACKAGE

FORD: 2003-2008 F-Super Duty
This article supersedes TSB 07-8-4 to update the vehicle model years and engines.

<u>ISSUE:</u>
Some 2003-2008 F-Super Duty vehicles with a diesel engine, that are not equipped with the factory snow plow package, may exhibit an engine overheat condition if a snow plow is installed on the vehicle. The condition typically will occur during normal highway driving. This is due to the snow plow blade disrupting airflow to the engine, causing the cooling fan to stop turning or to spin in reverse.

<u>ACTION:</u>
A new clutch fan (only for snow plow applications) may be installed to correct the condition. Cost of the new clutch fan and its installation is the responsibility of the customer. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-03 for removal and installation.

PART NUMBER - PART NAME
4C3Z-8A616-SA (YB-3013) - 6.0L Fan Clutch
8C3Z-8A616-A (YB-3091) - 6.4L Fan Clutch

#8 ·
#10 ·
Yes, there have been several threads where it has been covered in detail. Not sure about the one referenced above.

#11 ·
I had an issue with my truck in that the fan would not come on until the coolant temp was already getting too high... what we found was that the trucks programming had not been updated for a long time (exactly did not know when it was last performed, my truck is an 04 and a half). So, after updating the factory programming, we found the fan clutch engaged at or around 210 degrees verses the 218 degrees. This fixed all of my problems... I had previously installed the manual override, but now I do not have to use it at all!!

#12 ·
I installed or hooked up the manual fan control last summer and I found it to be very usefull. I could get ahead of the temps before they get ahead of me.
The biggest bonus I found is when I would pull off the highway to get fuel or for a bathroom break, I would kick the fan on. Well by the time you get back to the truck youcould hang meat in the back seat! That ac is kickin out some COOOOOOOLD air and you engine is all nice and cooled off.

Reactions: skanj0
#13 ·
Thanks to this thread, I did the clutch fan mod. The best thing I could have done for the truck. Just tried it out this past weekend while towing my fifth wheel. It worked out great.

I used AUX 3 upfitter switch to control the fan, but also used a direct switch in case the switch fails.

#15 ·
Hey OP for what it's worth I ran the snow plow clutch and the manual fan control and still could get high temps and the fan not come on. I since switched to a 7.3 fan clutch using adapter from BPD and its a million times better. Very worthwhile mod, might take a look at that route. If you decide to go with snowplow clutch I have the one I just took off, had 38k miles on it and nearly never came on. I'm up by DC if you travel north in next couple weeks, zip 20170. I'm only here for next few weeks then headed west. Will trade for beers.

#17 ·
I'm in DC at the moment, back in Vegas in few weeks. Next time your passin thru let me know. I don't want to outright sell and/or ship because I can't say for certain my snow or clutch doesn't have any issues. It surely didn't come on enough for my taste but I'm sure it's just fine with low miles. No way is recommend the snowplow doing all that work to swap fan clutches when you could just throw on the 7.3 fan. I've put about 1000 miles on it now and it's been on more then my snowplow fan was on in 38k miles, a lot more!

#19 ·
Dam^it! I got mine from dieselfiltersonline about 10 days ago. With all I've had to buy for my truck lately I could have used a break! About as soon as I had it on order I read where you were using the 7.3 fan clutch. Almost wished I gone that way but so far my new cooling system is doing a great job. Towing my tool trailer (8-10k pounds) my ECT and EOT are less than 10 apart at 70mph. Not towing I'm at 5. I'm lovin' this so far. Especially the fact that my BPD oil cooler purchase is down the road a ways now. Before the rebuild I was at 15 empty.

THANKS jetjock15!

k

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.