Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How to replace serpentine belt?

22K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  97XJ 
#1 ·
How do I go about replacing the belt? Sucker runs through a few more pulleys than my v4 tacoma I sold. Thanks.

#3 · (Edited)
If you have a single alternator truck it's not too bad. If you have dual alts (and therefore dual pulley tracks and belts), it's a royal PITA.

Best advice is to lock the tensioner pulley back using the "kickstand", and to use two people. Have one up top and one down below.

And don't bother saving the old belt behind the seat like one would do with an older vehicle. There is no way you can change that thing on the side of the road with a piping hot motor and essentially no tools or step stool.

#11 ·
Single Alt Setup:

Diagram Line art Circle

#5 ·
How often should the belt be changed ?
I got my 07 in late 06 and it has about 88k miles.
I am thinking it is time to change it.
Also what brand belt is good to use?

#10 ·
I don't know the interval. I would just go ahead and plan on doing it with those miles on it. I changed all the pulley bearings when I did mine. Cheap insurance.

#6 ·
OEM. Was disappointed by the Goodyear Gator back.

#7 ·
Thanks.
At want point do they need to be changed ?

#9 ·
OK thanks.
I should put this on my to do list.

#13 · (Edited)
I could not find very much good info on the F350 6.0 engine with a DUAL alternator setup.
I was not able to find away to lock the tensioner pulley back using the "kickstand".
I had to undo the fan shroud.
I used 1/2" ratchet with an short extension and a hollow pipe for extra leverage, from the top of the engine. I also loosed the 2nd alternator belt, so that I could get to the main belt.
From under the truck, I was able to get the belt out & back in (behind the tensioner pulley).
I DID NOT have to take off the fan or tensioner pulleys to do the main drive belt, but if I wanted to replace both belts I think I would had to remove the fan also. (DieselTechRon has a good video for that on YouTube)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.