my death wobble story - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 09:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my death wobble story

like my sig says, 07 f350 cc LB with 6" fabtech lift and 37" tires. I've had the lift for about a year and 11,000 miles. Since it was installed I noticed a little drift while cruising down the freeway. The past 4 months I started noticing a minor shimmy or shudder in the front end while going over uneven road surfaces.

about a month ago I experienced a noticeable wobble in the front that got my attention. About 2 weeks ago I almost drove off the road while towing due to a violent wobble in the front. It shook so hard that I couldn't control the truck. I was going about 40 at the time and all I could do was slam on the brakes to slow down as fast as possible. This event scared me b/c I had my kids in the truck.

I came to this site to do some research and found the problem usually centers around the track bar. I took it to the shop that installed the lift and they found about 3/8 - 1/2" of play where the track bar bolts to the drop bracket. I guess this is the bolt that takes 400 lb/ft of torque?

The shop checked the bolt and found that it was torqued properly. They then made some calls to Fabtech and to the shop's distribution center. Fabtech told them to have me go back to Ford and reference the steering oscillation TSB. I didn't want to do this because I knew the play in the track bar was the culprit, not the steering gear box.
They were also told by their distribution facility that the Fabtech drop bracket for the track bar is a nice machined and powder coated piece. The OEM piece is rough. They suggested removing the crush sleeve that the bolt goes through and scoring some grooves into it so that it'll bite. The shop went one step further and scraped off some powder coat and roughed up the steel on the drop bracket.

While I had it in, I had them install a dual steering stabilizer too. This plus the work to the track bar bracket have completely eliminated any wander, shimmy or wobble in the front end.

For those of you with lifts that utilize a new drop bracket for the track bar, especially those with Fabtech. If you experience the "death wobble", I'd suggest looking at the bolt where the track bar mounts to the new drop bracket. Make sure the surfaces are rough and the bolt is properly torqued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Very good and useful info.

Very nice looking truck by the way!
Old 11-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good info bud.
Old 11-28-2008, 03:39 PM

I've got the same lift. I haven't had the death wobble but have had to torque that bolt twice for a clunk in the front end. I did have the dual steering stabalizer from the start. Maybe that's what saved me.

Last edited by bigd4x4; 12-04-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same lift on my 06 I just bought on 11-28-08 and I am new to these trucks where is the track bar so I can check it.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:25 PM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarisrmk800 View Post
I have the same lift on my 06 I just bought on 11-28-08 and I am new to these trucks where is the track bar so I can check it.
I believe its the bar underneath the front end that runs perpendicular to your trucks frame. right in the front between the wheels
Old 12-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

does any one have a picture of the track bar?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 PM

Here ya go ...

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/pu...20/S6OMAIN.HTM

Follow the path below:

2: Chassis
04: Suspension (click on "04: suspension")

SECTION 204-01B: Front Suspension — Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) (click on this menu item)

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

Ball Joint — Track Bar (click on this menu item)

Last edited by bismic; 12-03-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:23 AM

Bismic, great link, thanks for sharing.

This image shows the area in question.

On my lift, the drop bracket had to be roughed up as well as the eye on the end of the track bar.

If you plan to do this yourself, get a big breaker bar. The bolt needs to be torqued to 400 ft/lbs.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 PM

Is that what causes "the clunk" it is starting to drive me crazy. Spent like 2 hours under the truck tryin to find somethin loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.