Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR issues

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
I've got a 2007 with 136,000 miles. At 120,000 miles, I had codes PO404 and PO405. Tried cleaning the EGR valve but no luck (it was dirty but dry), codes went away but reappeared in a couple weeks, so I replaced the valve, and all was good for 15,000 miles. Last week, I was towing around 4,000 pounds and running hard (75-80 mph), CEL came on and the same codes showed up again. I assumed the EGR valve was faulty, so I replaced it again. However, I have repetitively tried to clear the stored codes (says Codes Cleared), but when I scan again, they are still stored. The actual CEL light has went away.

Is it common to have the CEL light off but have active codes in the ScanGauge? These are stored codes (I assume active), not pending codes.

I have been monitoring EGR duty cycle, and prior to the codes, duty cycle never exceeded 30%. However, now duty cycle is 25-30% idling, and gets as high as 85% running 70 mph without towing. Since the codes, I have also been monitoring EGR valve position measured (%), and this value is 10-13 idling, and gets as high as 103 at 70 mph. Any ideas?

I have an EGR delete kit sitting on the workbench, but won't have time to install it for several months. Would there be any negatives to just disconnecting the EGR valve until I get the delete kit on?

See less See more
#2 ·
I would proceed with caution on the delete kit, they can fail and I hadn't read any good reviews on them. I've seen a guy from powerstrokehelp.com that welded a cap on it. Disconnecting the valve may cause you check engine light to come on and it may do well. I would just try it and see what happens and if anything seems off I would immediately shut it down and re-plug.

#4 ·
:ORG welcome: Might find a couple people on here that actually are glad they deleated their egr cooler. I know I am.

#3 ·
Delete the EGR and leave the valve if you're worried about fan function and all that, or just re wire the fan into a switch. You can buy a tuner and turn the valve off in the meantime.

#5 ·
I did not know the EGR valve and fan function was related. Can you explain further?

For those of you with the ScanGauge II, is it common to have the CEL light off but have active codes in the ScanGauge? I currently have PO404 and 405 as stored codes (I assume active), not pending codes, but CEL is off.

#7 ·
delete that junk..leave it plugged in tho as it controls the fan operation. I got the same codes, I cleaned my egr valve then replaced it no luck. so to further prevent damage to the truck I deleted that junk. just make sure u leave it plugged in.

#9 ·
You can't get rid of historic codes. They will self-clear after awhile. If you REALLY want to get rid of it, remove the batteries for a few hours.
I have the egr delete code 24/7/365. It doesn't affect the way the truck runs (egr valve in place and plugged in).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.