Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0L engine

1K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  Alpha Male 
#1 ·
So I'm looking around for a spare engine for a 600HP build that I can leave on the stand while I'm building it instead of having my truck down for months while I gather all my stuff.
A buddy of mine has one out of an '05 that's going to need a new set of lifters and pushrods. No idea how many miles are on this engine but what is a reasonable offer on this engine?
If I end up getting it I'll probably have it thermal cleaned at the machine shop etc. Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
It's hard to say......WHY does it need new lifters and pushrods? Did the plastic retainers break and one go sideways?....if it did, you're looking at a new cam too, and possibly some other work. Are the heads ok, injectors good, turbo....is it all there/complete? How many miles? Need a little more info to give you a good value. Engines off of CL go from 300-1500, but they're in various states of repair/disrepair so it all depends. As it sounds now, I'd be on the waaaay low end until you find out why it needs new lifters/pushrods. Pushrods bend everyday; they happen from running too hard, pistons and valves hit each other and bend them; lifters come out of their retainers and bend them....either way they're designed to be the failure point (they fail before anything else does) so those aren't really as much of a big deal as the lifters.

BTW if you didn't know already, the rear cover has to be removed to get to the last 8 lifters, so factor in that expensive as all hell rear main seal installer tool, or find out if you can rent it somewhere.

#5 ·
Odd that the lifters went out too, but I guess that could be a misdiagnosis :dunno: Given that it's all there, I'd offer 1000 with the work that still needs done....but they're probably going to be wanting to get the head work money back out of it too.....I guess start there?

Given that he's your buddy I know you don't want to screw him over or anything, but make sure you don't get screwed either

#8 ·
Yes sir. So y'all think that's a fair price?
I'm thinking about hauling it to a machine shop before I buy it and letting them check everything over, all bearing clearances, mic the crank and cam etc. I figure if there's anything about the engine that would make it not a good candidate they should be able to tell correct?

#9 ·
Well that's a good idea and all, but unless it's disassembled already they're going to charge you the labor to take it all apart lol to mic the crank and cam etc.... They won't really be able to tell if the oiling components are all good (well kinda) unless it's running to compare sensor values, it's all gonna have to be taken apart to check it out really well buying it like this since it's not in a running truck.

No one else has really chimed in on price, but if you think it's fair and your buddy thinks it's fair, I'd go with it.....I'd just really be sure on WHY the lifters went out.......that's the part that still concerns me. When they go out, sometimes they take out the cam, and that's gonna be another $500 for you, plus you may not have a good core to send in.....just something to think about.

#10 ·
Yeah the pushrods don't really bother me it's more of the lifters going out.
I can do all of the disassembly no problem cause I'll be doing all the work myself, I know how to plastigauge all the bearings and what not but I just don't have the experience under my belt to identify potential problems and I'd be really bummed if I spent 1k on this engine then 7-10k on parts for it just to blow up because of pre existent problems so that's kinda why I was thinking about taking it to the machine shop to have it all checked out.

And sorry, still got lots to learn what do you mean by oiling components?

#14 ·
The biggest reason that I know of is the plastic retainer clips break and the lifter goes sideways....which, since the roller is now perpendicular to the cam...gouges the hell out of the cam too. I'm sure there's other reasons like "they wear out" lol, but it'd usually be around 300k when those start to happen, and even then, I've seen engines in the 700k range still on the original lifters..... :dunno:

Hopefully someone else will chime in here for you.....try doing a search in the 6.0 performance section too, you might find something that'd help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.