Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

First 6.0

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  HunkerJunker 
#1 ·
Hello all im new to the site and im also new to the diesel world. i just bought a 04 f250 6.0 all stock beside intake i believe i was wondering what should be some of the first things to get done to the truck any input would be great:)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice truck and welcome to the org. Definitely want a monitor (edge insights are great). Make sure your deltas are good. Basic maintenance is the best thing you can do to these motors.

#5 ·
Everyone here will tell you to monitor your engine oil temp and coolant temp deltas, one of the most talked about precautions on this site. The deltas will tell you the health of your oil cooler. Oil cooler, egr cooler, and head gaskets are the most common failure on these trucks and you can save yourself a lot of time and money simply by monitoring the temps.

#7 ·
I'm personally a fan of the edge insight products, you can monitor up to 8 parameters with the cs and I think 10 or 12 with the cts and you can get the add ins to monitor egt's. But what's nice is you can also read and clear dtc's with this device and it's all through the obd2 port. At the very least monitor you engine oil temps and engine coolant temp differentials.

#8 ·
Next thing after you are monitoring your truck is to consider doing a thorough coolant flush if you are still running Ford gold or the green coolant. Want to invest in some Cat EC-1 rated coolant. Many different brands to choose from. Make sure is concentrated and not 50/50 pre-mix.

Truck looks great. Mine is exactly like yours, only red. Lol welcome to the org.
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#9 ·
These guys are right on target. The Edge CTS will be your most popular on here and its also what I run so Im kinda biased...Its true plug and play. It can show you up to 8 different temps,volts setting's etc. at one time. It will pull up trouble codes (this is wonderful on a new 6.0. You don't have to play the guessing game). It will remind you of when you need to change the fluids. It can be a fuel mileage coach and help remind you to keep your foot off the floor! You can set up a back up camera...a turbo timer...a egt sensor....it will help keep pimple faced 16 year olds away from your daughter....lower your interest rate on the house....okay maybe not the last 2 things but it's a great set up to have.

Reactions: mikeb01453
#10 ·
:ORG welcome:

Nice truck bud. :thumb:

Instead of getting 3 different gauges glow shift makes a nice little 3 in 1 gauge that will read boost, EGT and fuel pressure for a good price. Fuel pressure is another key thing to watch. Anything below 45 psi will hurt your injectors. Then get a edge CTS to monitor everything else. Definitely want to watch your temp difference (deltas) between engine oil temp (EOT) and engine coolant temp (ECT).

Be sure to read the stickies at the top of the thread list, they will get you off on the right foot. :thumb:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 · (Edited)
For rite now. If you have a smart phone or a tablet you can get the Torque app ($5.00) and the ELM 327 ODB2 wifi ($20.00?) or blue tooth ($10.00?) and monitor your truck & clear codes... Works like a champ!:thumb: Got mine on Amazon.

:ORG welcome:

#13 ·
The SCT is a tuner, not as monitor, the edge insight is a monitor that remains plugged into your OBD 2 port at all times where as the sct tuner you plug in, load a tune and are done with it, Im not sure on the price of the SCT livewire which does both but i dont think it monitors as much as the insights. Personally i run an edge insight cs (300) and bought an sct xcal 2 used (120ish).

#15 · (Edited)
The SCT Livewire TS is a tuner with gauges. I am running 9 pids on my SCT Livewire TS. I'm ordering the edge gauge pod for my SCT livewire TS too.

#17 ·
The edge cts insight is what i run. The price is nothing compared to the cost of one repair that could have been avoided with the monitoring ability the cts has.:ORG welcome:

Reactions: anschutz1913
#20 ·
Reactions: HunkerJunker
#22 ·
ok cool guys thanks for the help and question i noticed today the truck threw out some white smoke can that be bad? came out right before the truck shifted when the gear was reving out as soon as it shifted went away that normal or should i be on the look out for something!

#24 ·
Another thing I feel is important to know is your batt. voltage and ficm voltage. Again you can monitor them on the CTS. These trucks (mine anyway) eat up batteries. A low batt. can cause low voltage on your ficm which in-turn can cause fuel injector failure and thats $$$. The secret to the 6.0 is maintenance and monitoring so you will know when something is beginning to happen rather than after it happens.I have owned my truck for almost 10 years and still love it, there`s something about it. the looks, the power, the sound, the smell of diesel fuel. Cant get enough of it.

Reactions: Stiles
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.