Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Increased MPG with EGR delete?

19K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  Beavis 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine claims that an EGR delete will give the 6.0 a bump in fuel economy of 1-2 MPG. Anyone ever heard of this or have any experience to prove or disprove this?

I have my EGR deleted from my truck but I had it done right after I bought it so I didn't have a baseline to compare to.

Reactions: txwizkid
#6 ·
Why wouldn't it? Are you going by what the lie-o-meter is spitting out? Or calculated? I have a 4 mpg difference between my calculation and what the dash says. But it should. You're not reintroducing the exhaust gases back into the engine, so your fuel burns a lot cleaner and more MPG's. Ill be doing a egr delete as soon as the egr cooler fails, or this summer.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#7 ·
I'm getting the delete done, as well as a new oil cooler, on my wife's Excursion. I'll be able to report the results once I get the vehicle back from the shop.

Reactions: txwizkid
#10 ·
I regularly take a trip in my Excursion every year and before my EGR delete I ALWAYS had to fill up at a town about a 100 miles before my destination. After the delete with nothing else done to my truck I can make the trip on one tank easily with a bunch of in town driving. Did I ever calculate it out for fuel mileage, no.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#11 ·
The f550 I use at work with a sct tow tune gained 2mpg mixed after we put the block of kit in it. But I'm perty sure the valve was stuck. Cuz turbo lag dropped when we did it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#13 ·
This. ^^

I think it's hard to say whether it does or does not without knowing whether it was operating correctly before or not. If it wasn't, the truck wasn't running right so a delete just got the truck back to running right. You may not have even known. For all the years my EGR was unplugged, I hadn't realized some of the weird cooling issues were caused by it.

I could say I saw an increase after doing the BPD cooler, but my EGR had been disconnected, and I had OC, HG's, Pmax etc. all done at the same time. Mine was at least 1 MPG better around town and easily 3-4 on the HWY.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.