Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Is my head gasket gone?

2K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  jetjock15 
#1 ·
Ok so I just put on a coolant filter the other day and changed my coolant cap today from ford. I just drove 30 mins on freeway to my hockey game and my temps were coolant 188-190 and my oil temp was 197ish.... Got home and could smell coolant when I got out of my truck. Had a look and coolant had puked out the bottle? What do I do now?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#3 ·
I'm guessing yes. Mine were leaking very slightly, no effect on temps or perf just coolant residue. You can test by getting $17.69 oil pressure gauge off the shelf at autozone and "t" it somewhere into the coolant system - the test can't lie. Drive it for an hour hooked up. Just zip-tie gauge to windshield wiper, if after an hour it's still at 5-7 psi, your good. HG leak of any sort will pump it up to 16psi where cap is bleeding. Real bad HGs hit 16psi on startup , mine took 40 minutes to get to 16, very slow. Either way the test don't lie.

#4 ·
#14 ·
If you have coolant filter does the block have plugged ports? My diesel site filter block does, and that's where I threaded in the oil pressure sensor. The $17 kit comes with the threaded adapters. A lot of theories but for $17 you can know for sure.

#6 ·
I'm going to bet air in the lines and overfill. If you remedy that and it's still puking then go for the pressure test.

To remedy the air in the lines loosen the cap and drive a few WOT runs with the heat full blast. If you still have the sticker on your degas make sure it's filled to the bottom of the sticker.

#7 ·
heat on full blast does nothing different than no heat ( except make you sweat LOL) the only thing you don't want is max a/c that will shut of flow to the cooler the degas by nature is supposed to get the trapped air out of the system

reads like you put a new cap on ? do you have your old one ? i might try that

and if you do the gauge make sure you run it hard like WOT thats when HG's leak the most if they are lifting under pressure

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.