Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cost to paint door handles?

19K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  layson 
#1 ·
Just got 4 new door handles for my black crew cab f350. They are the smooth kind. Any idea what I might expect to get them painted black to match my truck? Thinking i can hopefully find someone at a body shop to do it on the side.

How much did you guys pay?

#2 ·
I had mine done for $240. I thought that was a little expensive, but several places quoted me within $20 of that, so I went with it.

#5 · (Edited)
If you are good at painting....and I do not assume you are or are not....then it is a lot cheaper to do it yourself. You can do it and get as good of a result as a body shop but only IF you use the correct paints.

I use http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

They have exact color matched basecoats and clear coats. Now...if you want durability like you would get from a body shop then the clearcoat needs to be a catalyzed clearcoat. This means the clearcoat uses a chemical catalyzer to harden teh paint and will make it so that gas and diesel does not damage it. A non catalyzed paint will never be resistant to gas and solvents which is why typical spray bomb paints from the parts store do not hold up as well. Also a catalyzed paint will be generally "harder" and hold up better to the constant abuse a door handle receives.

In the link I gave about half way down is a clearcoat in a spray can that is a catalyzed paint...runs around $18.00 a can. You also need the plastic adhesive paint to prep the plastic to receive the color basecoat.

So you would need the plastic prep, the color matched basecoat and the catalyzed clearcoat and I like the spray can spray adapter. Should run around 80-90 bucks for all and if you are a decent painter will look just like OEM and also will hold up. Their color matched paint is spot on everytime I have used it. Although one must account for any fading in your OEM paint if such has occurred.

i used to paint on the side and no longer do it so I do not have the spray equipment. But...when i need to touch up or do a repair this is the method I used. I just did my sons Sentra fender he ruined in an accident...used this method and works great.

Again the catalyzed Clearcoat will be the key...trust me...if you did it yourself.

Most people run into problems by laying too much down in one pass. Apply several medium coats and allow to dry a bit between coats...usually just 10 minutes is fine.

#6 ·
Ill paint them for $200

#10 ·
............Pm sent

#11 ·
I spent a hundred bucks at a local paint store to paint mine. A big outfit usually has your color and as long as they are smooth it shouldn't be a big deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.