Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cold start High idle problem

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  anschutz1913 
#1 ·
I came out this morning and went to start my truck (its a 03) it was around 25 degrees out. I started it and it started normal in the cold little rough for a couple seconds than the rpm shot to 1500 and stayed there and sounded like there was a pause in it every few seconds and was smoking pretty good my ect 27 eot 25 ficm 48.0 voltage 11.8-12.3 . I could not bring the rpm down at all I tried the brake I tried tapping the gas nothing. After a few minutes I got it to come down by stepping on the brake repeatedly. Than all was well the high idle kicked in and warmed the truck properly . I usually have it plugged in so I haven't noticed this before even if the high idle kicked in the truck was always warmer than what it was today and works properly . Other than that I have no driving issues truck is running great . I am lost . Any help would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
Is it a 6.0?

If so I had the same thing about a week or so ago.

The turbo spooled right up, sat at just under 1500. I shut it off after a few seconds. Started it again and, did the same thing. After a minute it dropped the RPM to normal, then after another moment went into its high idle, and has been normal since.

I have no idea what caused it.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/666954-6-0-working-great-13.html

A link above is where I posted and have been posting about the 6.0.

Let me know if find anything out. One fellow did have a good theory about the unison ring momentarily getting stuck. .???

#7 ·
Hey. Yes the surging I agree. They all seem to do it when cold, a few surges on first start when cold soaked. Minor, until the oil pressure stabilizes, a couple of seconds - depending on temps - with the cold oil flow, which makes sense to me with the HEUI system.

But not the high turbo spool and high rpms. It's almost as if the turbo gets stuck. Personally I like the unison ring getting stuck theory. It fits the symptoms best. And then releases when warmed up. Might only happen to a few every year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.