New to Forum/ Just bought a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 04:05 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to Forum/ Just bought a 6.0

Hi all, I just bought a used 2005 F-350 6.0 and I have never owned a diesel before. I have read a lot of posts on here and on the web and I honestly can say that I may be second guessing myself on the decision to by the 6.0.
However, anything mechanical is going to have its problems, right? With that said, what can I do as a new owner to ensure my 6.0 keeps running strong? Like I said, I never had a diesel before so I am going to throw some questions out there to get your guys opinion.

What brand and grade of oil is recommended? (I live in Utah where it can get down to 0 or below on some winter days)

Do I have to worry about adding an additive in the winter time? And if so, what additive?

How often should I change the oil? I see conflicting milage out there.

I just did buy this thing used and unsure of the maintenance done on it by the previous owner. Should I go ahead and replace the fuel filters? Anything else I should change?

What should I be aware of on the turbo?

What else should I be aware of, in general?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it and look forward to being part of this forum.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2008, 04:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Jeff,
Change the filters and fluids ( It cant hurt) then DRIVE it and I mean hard to see how it does. If your still under warranty then leave it alone but if not get rid of the EGR crap. I'm still waiting to get out of my warranty period but otherwise its a great motor. OH congrats on the new truck and welcome
Old 11-25-2008, 04:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Welcome to the org Jeff! I have had my 04 6.0 for a while now and absolutley love it. I did have the typical probelms associated with these, head gaskets and EGR cooler replaced back in January under warranty.

Even with the issues I wouldn't trade having bought it for anything. Everyday I get in it and drive it is a pleasure.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4chase View Post
Jeff,
Change the filters and fluids ( It cant hurt) then DRIVE it and I mean hard to see how it does. If your still under warranty then leave it alone but if not get rid of the EGR crap. I'm still waiting to get out of my warranty period but otherwise its a great motor. OH congrats on the new truck and welcome
What is involved with remobving the EGR system? Just plugging up the pipe like I read about in this article?

EGR Up Pipe Delete Homemade
Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddingsj View Post
What brand and grade of oil is recommended? (I live in Utah where it can get down to 0 or below on some winter days)
I use Rotella 5-40 synthetic, we live in the same climate. I really like this oil, the truck sounds healthier when started cold or warm

Quote:
Do I have to worry about adding an additive in the winter time? And if so, what additive?
I don't run an addative in my truck, and never have

Quote:
How often should I change the oil? I see conflicting milage out there.
I do mine at 5,000 miles. Like 4x4chase said, change both fuel filters, oil and filter, and external tranny filter

Quote:
What should I be aware of on the turbo?
Just be sure to drive it at least once a week, and give her some pedal every once in a while to be sure that the vanes stay free

Quote:
What else should I be aware of, in general?
Watch your boost levels and EGT's especially if it has a tuner on it.

there are a bunch of good guys and gals on this site
Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4chase View Post
Jeff,
Aren't you worried about passing emissions? I see you still have you cat .

What color is your truck? I'll have to keep my eyes open for your rig
Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks for all the info. I have been doing some reading on this site and I do have a few more questions. Please bear with me since I am new to the diesel scene.

2005 F-350 FX4 6.0

1. I am guessing the Degas bottle is what I would call the coolant reservior up on the firewall, drivers side? Right?

2. What transmission do I more than likely have? TorqShift or 4R100 How can I tell?

3. How does becoming a premium member entitle me to a free oasis report?

These are just a few general questions I have right now, I am sure there will be more to follow.

Thanks -Jeff
Old 12-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Premium Member

1. Yes you are correct

2. Torqshift

3.Pay to be a premium member and then you can get an Oasis report any time. Just go to the Oasis request forum and type in the vin in your post and it will be e-mailed to you.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the forum!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddingsj View Post
Thanks for all the info. I have been doing some reading on this site and I do have a few more questions. Please bear with me since I am new to the diesel scene.

2005 F-350 FX4 6.0

1. I am guessing the Degas bottle is what I would call the coolant reservior up on the firewall, drivers side? Right?

2. What transmission do I more than likely have? TorqShift or 4R100 How can I tell?

3. How does becoming a premium member entitle me to a free oasis report?

These are just a few general questions I have right now, I am sure there will be more to follow.

Thanks -Jeff
All 6.0 PSD's have the Torqueshift, awesome tranny BTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.