Amsoil in Engine and Diffs Increase Fuel Economy?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2008, 02:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Amsoil in Engine and Diffs Increase Fuel Economy??

I am almost convinced... This comes from a source I respect, a Bloke who has been a big help in my project, Larry Musgrave of DiscountPowerParts.com

"Most of your Mobile1, Castrol, Pennzoil, Rotella, Quaker State, etc is a dino oil with the federally mandated 12% or greater class 4 synthetic blended in. This is by United States Federal law allowed to be advertised as a 100% synthetic. Bull sh*t, but true.

Amsoil is a pure synthetic, a class 4 synthetic base with class 5 synthetic buffers."

Now if this is true, and I believe it is, then one would expect to see maybe a 4% increase in fuel economy, 4-5%? Has anybody done a close study of this and carefully done the fuel calculations?? If it is true, it is another good reason to shift over. My truck is ready for it with 20,000 kms on the clock (about 13,000 miles, broke in enough)...

I have already done big fueling improvements, with a MBRP 3.5 downpipe to 4" free flow exhaust, and SCT Tuner with Erics Tunes, meanwhile I have loaded up the Dually, Bull bar, long range tanks, tool boxes, 5th wheel ball mount, and Friday a Warn 16.5 Ti Winch we built a cradle for in my Shop... It dipped down to about 17mpg as I loaded it up... But: The 4" exhaust and SCT Tuner, have me pushing hard on 20 mpg with a King Ranch CC F-350 Dually... Leaning on 10,000 lbs.. 4500 kg...

Dats pwetty good (Sylvester da puddy tat would say)

Will the Amsoil help more? By lowering the Friction Coeficient?

In Australia, it is as much about RANGE of fuel as it is COST... So I am experimenting with what I can squeeze out of Her.. Anybody run any calcs?

Cheers from da Mad Scientist in Australia... lone Ranger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2008, 05:05 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
4%....That's maybe 1MPG gain. You might see that but at what cost? Does the gain outweight the cost? Long term estimations would need to be used. Familuar with Windows Excel? It can help you plan and keep track of all this to see what happens long term.

Try BOB THE OIL GUY and see what they say on his site.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:22 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
I gained 1.5 mpg by switching to Amsoil on my rig
Old 11-22-2008, 12:12 PM

Well, If I get 4-5% out of a 4" MBRP exhaust...
And, If I get 10% out of a custom Tune from Eric at Innovative on my SCT
And, If I can get another 4% out of using Amsoil in engine and diffs......

You see where I am going here...
Wouldn't it be cool, with a King Ranch F-350 Dually, running 410's, 4x4 LWB, CC, and Loaded with gear and equipment at about 10,000 lbs (bull bar, 16.5 winch and more) To be getting 20 mpg or better...

Now before you say at what cost, two things to factor in here Guys...

First of all, I got bad news for you, Due to World Demand from China and India, oil will not be staying down here at 50 bucks a barrel for very long... You can count on it stabilizing at more like $70-$90 a barrel when you factor total pumping ability against demand.. Bet on it..

Secondly, Maybe the Amsoil will extend engine Life? Less Friction, longer lasting Injector Life and so on???? WOW, THAT COULD BE $$$$

And Third, for us here In Australia, it is available fuel RANGE as well...

Anyway, what do you say, is the fuel savings REAL? You Guys actually ran tests and did hand calculations?

Best Regards, Mad Scientist in Australia...
Old 11-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Yes mine were hand calculated. My dash readout is actually within about .2 mpg of my calculator
Old 11-23-2008, 08:40 AM

I did not notice any mpg gain but synthetic lubricates better than conventional=less friction wear on internal engine parts=longer life and running cooler because friction causes HEAT. People have heard horror stories about synthetic causing problems with there engine or trans.......Synthetic does not cause problems, However it may have opened up another problem that was once covered up by the Dino oil. (leaks) Ive heard people say there truck or motorcycle runs louder after synthetic, Heck back in the day we put sawdust in an engine to quiet it down; that did alot of good Im sure

The bottom line is Synthetic has many advantages over Dino oil MPG may be one of the smaller benefits and the only downfall would be cost......a well justified cost considering the benefits.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Hello Dave, I am on your side, and hope that your results are accurate because I would like to head in that direction.

On somebody's recommendation I went to the Forum Bobistheoilguy.com which is a very technical oil forum and with 17 replies to my Post there, I have only 1 other saying it can improve the fuel economy... rest are opposed, even the Amsoil rep... Link
Amsoil in Engine and Diffs Increase fuel economy? - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Are you confident in your testing and results? Because I would like to go that direction if I can reproduce the results..

Best Results from Oz... I am a believer!!! In your test, or wanna be...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.