amsoil, or not? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question amsoil, or not?

So far I have been running just regular old oil in my truck. i was wondering if you guys were using synthetics, if so that kinds, and if I should go synthetis, or just stay with old fashioned oil.

right now I am in Las vegas, and the summers here are extreemly hot......

thank you iin advance for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have always ran conventional Rotella on the three PSD I've owned. Just switched to Rotella synthetic a few weeks ago so I'm anxious to see how it works out...so far so good.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
i ran amsoil but flushed the system and switched back to rotella...i cant justify the difference in price
Old 11-16-2008, 03:32 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I tired the Amzoil and wasn't happy with the results. I have been happy with Rot-T, Mobil 1 and Valvoline Extreme.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:27 AM

You should try the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 synthetic. it is a true Group 4 PAO based synthetic, the 6.0 seems to love this stuff as it runs sooo much smoother. I have this Mobil one up back to back against the shell Rotella T 5w40 diesel synthetic, and there is more clacking with the Shell. Just my experience.

I personally think Amsoil is a little overated and can't see it out performing the Mobil delvac or TBD oil. The Mobil TBD is available at all Auto Zones and some Advance Auto Parts
Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM

Its plain and simple.
SYNTHETIC LUBRICATES BETTER THAN CONVENTIONAL. AMSOIL SYNTHETIC IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER SYNTHETICS. THE BEST IS AMSOIL.....cost more but the best. Research it. People have their opinions but opinions cant tell you how well the oil lubricates engine internals. If you dont want to spend the money but Rotella or mobil 1 they are comparable to amsoil, but amsoil does not cost more for No reason
Old 11-18-2008, 04:39 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have tried AMZOIL (amazing oil) with poor results for cold weather running. Truck sounded like she wanted to come apart. I switched to Mobil 1 with MUCH better results in starting, driving and MPG. Don't tell someone what is best, it's all in the motor. Your truck will tell you what works and what doesn't for the oil. I have tried several different brands so I know what works and doesn't work for my motor.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know this is a highly opinionated subject, but hope folks weigh in with their .02 anyway. I also had great luck with Shells Rotella T 15-40 but switched to Shells Synthetic 5-40 at last oil change.May have helped a bit with MPG but not worth the extra money on that alone.Note..not to cloud the issue but regular oil samples showed the old Rotella T 15-40 was still good after 11,000 miles. This was Az Phoenix summer/interstate/city driving with 6,000 pounds of trailer. Truck has 90,000miles now.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 AM

I bought mobil for my first synthetic oil change, then at 3k I switched to Amsoil. Maybe its different from truck to truck but I now run amsoil.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:09 AM

I'm sure Amsoil is good. I have used it in my 900 hp Turbo 4.6 Mustang with excellent results.

As for diesels, I'm not convinced that Amsoil is the "best" out there, and can you REALLY justify paying all that money for Amsoil diesel synthetic when there is evidence that Mobil 1 delvac/ Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 is just as good or better for a cheaper price and more readily available. And there is just no comparison as the way the truck runs when comaparing Mobil 1 TBD 5w40 and Shell Rotell 5w40. With the Mobil the 6.0 just runs smoother and quicker starts. The Mobil is a true PAO synthetic as opposed to the Shell Group 3 highly refined petroleum.

IMO, I just feel the Mobil 1 is one of the best alternatives to Amsoil and Shell Rotella T 5w40. There have been issues with Shell Rotell T 5w40 giving not so good oil analysis after just 5000 miles during towing or HOT summer temp operations.

In any event, we will all use what WE think is best for our individual 6.0. My brother swears by Royal Purple and he uses it religiously in his '06 Duramax...we argue back and forth all the time

Last edited by Baddestt; 11-18-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.