sulastic spring problem! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
sulastic spring problem!

so I make a thread here raving about how great my sulastic rubber springs were, well today I'm on the freeway and notice a difference while I was driving, bed was bouncing again... I start to pass someone going about 75mph on the freeway and WHAM the back end flies up and sends me flying off the freeway, gained control and came to a stop on the side of the freeway. I get out and notice my shackles like rolled over (inverted) and propped my bed in the air. I couldn't believe what happened. Anyways I start driving slowly back home and POP the shackles go back into place. I take it to the shop, they check it all and everything is tight and installed correctly. I tested it out and I notice my bed bounce is back. I'm going to call sulastic, and either get a refund or some new shackles. Wasted money for install and I'll have to get it done again with new ones?? And they about got me killed. Sulastic has some serious explaining to do. I also hope it did damage anything else on my truck... Do I even chance this again? Raul, you ever heard of this happening??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Banned

sorry about your problems,...

As soon as I saw the design,...I thought to myself,...rubberbands holding the rear end together can't be a good long term design....
Old 11-14-2008, 07:59 PM

I guess that's why it only has a 1 year warranty. Honestly it was great the first couple days, then I noticed some bad bed bounce starting again. Never thought that only in a week of driving and less than 100 miles they would completely fold over like it did.. Maybe I just got some faulty springs? They were installed prerfessionally at 4 wheels parts for 100$, installed perfectly. 4WP is actually going to call sulastic too to see what the deal is cause they obviously don't want me to ruin my 8k suspension I had them do and warranty... And I don't either. I think it may have bent one of my leaf springs too as one seems to sag now... More than anything making a product that can flip like that is dangerous. As you can tell, I'm very disappointed that it almost flipped my truck on the freeway.. Maybe these are just not made for large trucks with mucho horsepower. They sure advertise it as a performance product.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i have had no problems with mine so far.... and no i dont sell them so im not just saying that.....
Old 11-14-2008, 08:31 PM

the old ones have a 3 year warranty..... the new ones have a 10 year warranty.... Roberto is a great guy so give him a call and he should stand behind it... you probably have a faulty kit.... I am running them and they are great....
Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 AM

Do you have aftermarket rear springs in the truck?
I see you have an 8" lift. Some of the aftermarket rear springs will be shorter than stock until they settle in, due to the amount of arch in the spring.They are physically longer than the OE springs but the are so stiff when new that they take some driving time to "relax".
I would suspect the combination of the aftermarket springs and the Sulastics would be the issue. Just my .02
Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 AM

I have atlas springs on my truck that is equipped with the shackles and I've had no issue what so ever... but I also have the new ones.... but like I said, he probably just has a defective set...
Old 11-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
no thats a new style, it is supposed to do that.. i think you win a prize for not crashing..
Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchase View Post
no thats a new style, it is supposed to do that.. i think you win a prize for not crashing..

LMAO!!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 PM

I thought I would update everyone with my Sulastic springs situation. I sent Sulastic my springs back and they fully refunded me, and also came to a conclusion to what happened. Sulastic emailed me the following:

"You are right the problem was generated by the combination of; after market lift kit, rear leaf springs as well as the amount of torque and power that forced the axle forward pushing the front side of leaf spring and with that deformation the back of the truck was pushed up and let the sulastic rubber springs to rotate under the hanger of your truck and when the torque was out and you hit the driveway everything went back to its normal position,
This problem can't happen in stock suspension because the Leaf spring is almost horizontal in front of the axle so the amount of torque goes in horizontal direction against the frame and the movement of the axle is very small, but when the leaf spring has more angle it can flex more, that's why sometimes the manufactures of lift kits use torsion bars to kept the axle and drive train in place and avoid this kind of problems."

Anyways, their good customer service has me wanting to give it another try with "torsion bars"? Is that the same as like a ladder bar in a 4 link suspension? Since I have the best Pro Comp lift I'm surprised these bars weren't part of my 8" kit. My question is, where should I get some bars to help me prevent putting too much torque on my back end like I did already. If I can get this straightened out, I'm thinking about trying the sulastic springs again. Because they were working wonderfully before they rolled under my leaf springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.