Where to buy HEAD GASKETS??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where to buy HEAD GASKETS???

I've went to every Autozone, NAPA, Carquest, ect... in town and they don't sell head gaskets for the 6.0's? The only place I can find them is at the dealership and they want $99 a piece for them and they come with, go figure head bolts.

If anyone has any idea where I could get some please let me know...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 PM

$99 each sounds like an exellent price to me. I just bought a top end gasket kit for mine and it retails for over $600. It's 4 layer steel, and they need to be very precise. You get what you pay for so this is something I wouldn't compromise on. If you're getting gaskets to install the ARP's, don't waste your money unless it's already apart, or the gasket's blown. Just replace one bolt at a time, without pulling the head off. It's way less work and money.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:48 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

I've found that most everything I need for our 6.0's is at the dealership. Maybe a tech can give you a better place to go to. I noticed yor are planning on studs and you are in the NC area, GO SEE SCUFFY828 (Scott) AT TRUCK UNLIMITED!!!!! Word on the street he can to everything in less than a day, all you have to supply is the studs. Well worth the drive. He fixed my rig first try unlike Sanders 3rd try and still to help.

Last edited by POWERED SPARKLESS; 11-14-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhh View Post
$99 each sounds like an exellent price to me. I just bought a top end gasket kit for mine and it retails for over $600. It's 4 layer steel, and they need to be very precise. You get what you pay for so this is something I wouldn't compromise on. If you're getting gaskets to install the ARP's, don't waste your money unless it's already apart, or the gasket's blown. Just replace one bolt at a time, without pulling the head off. It's way less work and money.
talk about some bad advice...

if you are spending the money on ARP's why wouldn't you replace the gaskets? Dont cut corners it will bite you in the A$$ in the long run..

powerstrokeshop.com has some good prices on headgaskets
Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
Yep, They have most of your Superduty needs.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
talk about some bad advice...

if you are spending the money on ARP's why wouldn't you replace the gaskets? Dont cut corners it will bite you in the A$$ in the long run..

If you KNOW that everything's fine, why would you replace a working gasket? I know, I know, extra insurance. If you're going the distance, why not rebuild the heads while you're at it? At least have them checked for cracks and warpage, as well as replace valve stem seals. The thing I run into most is that the average guy has to save up for stuff like head studs. Unnecessary gaskets and the time to change them = extra cost. Of course you'd be stupid to just put in studs if there's a chance it leaks, but if it doesn't, I don't see why you'd pay more.

You obviously can't go wrong by doing it all. I'm simply suggesting a way to save money if you know what you got.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:17 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

I have to save for a set of studs and wouldn't CHEAP OUT on a set of gaskets KNOWING that they are a problem with the 6.0.

If you want to reuse a gasket that look OK go ahead and do the job twice its you money saved. But in my shop if somthing can cause a problem fix that crap when you get a chance. I guess when you have a multi million dollar jet engine you tend to learn things the right way the first time. You can't always pull over to the nearst cloud to fix your S#@!

Last edited by POWERED SPARKLESS; 11-14-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhh View Post
If you KNOW that everything's fine, why would you replace a working gasket? I know, I know, extra insurance. If you're going the distance, why not rebuild the heads while you're at it? At least have them checked for cracks and warpage, as well as replace valve stem seals. The thing I run into most is that the average guy has to save up for stuff like head studs. Unnecessary gaskets and the time to change them = extra cost. Of course you'd be stupid to just put in studs if there's a chance it leaks, but if it doesn't, I don't see why you'd pay more.

You obviously can't go wrong by doing it all. I'm simply suggesting a way to save money if you know what you got.
tell me how you can assure that without pulling the heads that the headgaskets are intact an not on the verge of blowing?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:42 PM

Point and Argument withdrawn. I don't want responsibility for someone blowing a head gasket because they thought their gaskets were good. For most people, the peace of mind is worth the extra $$$ anyway.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:43 PM

good idea..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.