Very Minor Coolant loss? Normal parameters? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very Minor Coolant loss? Normal parameters?

My new King Ranch (new to me) 07 KR, CC, LWB, DRW, FX4, Auto, is losing maybe a cup? per 1000 miles... Now sitting at about 13,000 miles, 17,000 Kilometres, in Tamworth the Country Music Centre of Australia for the NRHA National Reining Horse Championships... I am using: Say between a cup and and a quart of water I add to the reservoir to get it back from the low down end of the range to normal, every 1000 or so....

Is this a normal parameter for the 6.0?

Is this normal? Does it somehow throw that top bit? Or do I have a minor HG problem? The dreaded HG problem or a minor leak in the EGR cooler? Truck runs PERFECTLY.. Oil clean, radiator clean, no water showing in exhaust. I guess I want to know if I have a problem that will get worse soon and should look to organize the ARP Head Studs and new gaskets..

I can detect no problems, other than after about a 1000 on a pop the hood check, the reservoir is always down on the LOWEST end of the mark...

Kind Regards to you Yanks, American is the last Bastion of Freedom in the world... We in Australia are small, only 18, Million, but we ARE WITH YOU ALL THE WAY....usa:: beer:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The min fill is actually the new normal line on it. Does it loose any if you leave it there?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:38 AM

Dunno, I will have to try it...

I have been adding some water to about the halfway mark... So what you are saying is the bottom level mark of normal is now the FULL mark? In my 07 built 11/06..? 6.0 auto KR, CC, LWB, DRW... Is this true?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:46 AM

Pretty much the minimum mark is now the maximum fill point. There are a number of reasons for cooling loss other than head gaskets and EGR cooler. One of them is as simple as a degas bottle cap that is leaking. Check your engine over frequently for signs of wetness. Could be a very minor hose leak.

Do you have any mods on the truck? Do you see signs of white residue aound the degas bottle?
Old 10-16-2008, 04:49 AM

Also - what kind of water are you adding? It is best to add distilled or demineralized water. Better yet, keep a jug of 50/50 coolant and DI water and add that. Use only the Motorcraft Gold coolant.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 AM

Nuttin, Nuttin, and Nuttin... Bone Stock....

And boy do I sound dumb.. but what is a D-Gas bottle? Yur gonna tell me and then I am goin to feel stoopit... But three glasses of wine tonight and I have no clue what a D-Gas bottle is... Anyway, no clue on the engine as to a coolant loss...

Kind Regards, yer Mate in Australia...
Old 10-16-2008, 05:15 AM

And BTW, after 10 here in Oz.. 10 at night... I am going to bed..

Will happily look at your help in the morning.. And if any of you get a hankering for the Old West, the Last Frontier sort of thing... It is still here in Oz...

And keep "In God We Trust" on your money... Keep America on HIS side!

We are little, but we should be the 53rd State!!!!!

Keep singing "God Bless America"... Or the whole world is going to pot!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:20 AM

The reservoir that you fill is the degas bottle. This is what it is most commonly referred to as. I guess officially it is the Coolant Recovery Bottle.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:54 PM

Cool Mark,
Yea, I am a 56 Y.O. Diesel Nut, but had not heard of "De-Gas Bottle" but it makes sense now... It has always been a "Coolant Recovery" tank to me.. Or in the old days an Overflow Tank...

OK, will not panic, thank you all! I may still get an EGR Blockoff and a Head Stud kit done... One breakdown 3000 kms out west, and the recovery of the vehicle, and I could have done it all with change left over... And then there is a no worry factor to, as I might be towing a $100,000 Bushtracker out there.

This is BIIIIIG Country, Australia is sort of like a Texas 3000 miles across with Tropic Fringe and beaches.. Ha!

Best Regards to you Yanks, our thoughts are with you... It looks like a Great Depression from here, maybe a "Greater Depression" ...

....a real "Obamanation" if he gets in... Just kidding, hope that is allowed.. It is my original, but you can make T-Shirts if you like

A little tough here, but we are currently running a budget surplus do to mineral mining profits... But Big Boys are selling Toys all over!! I will just keep loving my King Ranch to death..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.