Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Winter block heater questions

885 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  badazzstroker 
#1 ·
I am wondering if you all could help me out with a few questions I have about plugging my truck in during the winter month's. I am new to the diesel world and this will be my first winter with the truck. My first question is if I had my truck plugged in for a couple hours before driving it and I am now ready to start it up, do I go ahead and unplug the truck before cranking the engine over or do you want to keep it plugged in the wall until the truck is running then hop out and unplug it? Second since I live in Colorado and it gets pretty cold and snowy what do you do during those cold days while the truck is sitting outside at work for 8 hours?? I can't plug it back in once I get to work in the morning and have it all ready to fire up when I leave in the afternoon. Is there anything you should do during this time when it is out in freezing temperatures for 8 hours and you can't plug it in before going home? Thanks for any help.

:)

#2 ·
The block heater has nothing to do with the truck electronics so leaving it plugged in while starting it or unplugging it beforehand is no big deal.
At work i usually just let the glow plugs cycle once and fire her up and let her run for about 10-15 min. Some guys cycle the plugs a couple of times before starting. I usually dont. Depends on how cold it is

#3 ·
were do you live in colorado?

#5 ·
your truck should fire just fine after 8 hours in the day time if everything is working right and when you start your truck after it has been plugged in just unplug the plug as you walk by to get in your truck that way you dont have to get back out. anyway good luck if you need anything else let me know i can probrably help you i have been around these trucks for a long time.oh and it is nice to see other coloradans on the site i dont see a lot.i am from grand jct on the western slope

#7 ·
so how long is to long to keep these trucks pluged in? i to am new at all this seein how this is my first winter with my truck. i work 12 hour shifts at night and was wondering if it would hurt to have it plugged in the whole time or if i need to go out a couple hours early and plug it in. thanks

#8 ·
no it does not hurt anything but the electric bill so if the company you work for is paying for it then go for it if not you will notice it on the bill they are about 1000watts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.