What is a normal oil temperature in frigid temps? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2014, 04:58 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is a normal oil temperature in frigid temps?

I live Indiana where the heat wave continues at 5 degrees and windchill at -20 degrees. I noticed my oil and water temps barely get to 170 degrees while driving for an hour. I get mixed answers from service techs at multiple shop when they say, "bring it in and we can check it over $110.00 an hour. I running Rotella T6 5w40 with a coolant flush about 3,000 miles ago. My Scangauge tells me all vitals are good, but it can't hurt to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2014, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just replace your thermostat and run some cardboard in front of your radiator. Your thermostat seems to be stuck open but then again it's cold as heck. $30 and 30 min is all it takes to replace it. I would try the cardboard first though and see what happens.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:14 PM

It has been the same kind of cold in CT.
My truck has been running about 5-10* lest then normal also.
ECT about 175-180* and EOT 170-180*
Old 01-23-2014, 05:26 PM

Are you guys running stock oil coolers? As my ect are around the same as what you are seeing ,but my eot is 150-160 on the high side in low teens / single digit temps. I'm going to do the cardboard trick next time it gets cold around here. right now in the 40's I see 180-190 on both
Old 01-23-2014, 05:31 PM

Ovah here in NH at a balmy 2* right now I'm running my 5w40 at 190* but my coolant won't get over 180*-182* stock egr/stock oil cooler. I think I may have some sort of issues myself. Off the highway my oil drops between 185*-190*

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wired, in the 40 degree outside temps, both should be 190 or higher.

Guys, it's around 8* here! my wife's truck is running in the low-mid 180's. It's just where it's cold and the barn door radiators these trucks have are doing their jobs. You can do the cardboard if you like, but 180* isn't going to hurt anything.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Premium Member

It was -30 here yesterday and my eot was 184 and ewt was 177 and that was with cardboard in the front.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Premium Member

At 5 degrees this morning my EOT settled in at 198 and would go up to about 201.
My ECT was running 188 to 192.

k
Old 01-23-2014, 07:58 PM

Tell me about it. This is the worst winter I have seen in 5 years in Indiana. This polar vortex is kicking our a$$. I kind of figured I was worried over nothing since mother nature has put her thumb on us, but getting the same answers help. Although, I never thought about the t-stat, so I am going to replace it since I don't know really how old it is. So much for not buying a snow plow... my neighbor has banked over $12,000 in contracts in the last 30 days. How in the world are you guys running at 20 degrees higher?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 AM

I have not run any cardboard and here in Fargo ND, its been cold as hell all winter. at the interstate speeds (75-85mph) and temps down to -27f I've been able to keep it above 180f (ECT) I did replace the thermostat with a motocraft unit. But I'd love to get that ECT up in the mid to high 190f range.

This graph is from 12/23 when the cold temps ranged from -25.5f to as warm as 3.2f during a single trip. I don't thing it actually was 3.2f, that must have been a false reading from when I was sitting and idling or something similar. I included GPS speed for reference.

I think for next year, I'm going to buy a spare XL grill and get a zip up cold front.
Attached Thumbnails
What is a normal oil temperature in frigid temps?-tempsandspeed.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.