EGR delete methods - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR delete methods

I'm taking my truck in for studs in a few weeks and am trying to figure out what method to go with the EGR delete. Elite has a complete kit that eliminates the cooler completely and comes with an up pipe and all hardware for $475. It looks like a good kit, but that's really pushing me to the limit money wise. My other options are a sneaky pipe and just weld the EGR valve shut or just use the stock up pipe and use the little metal plate.

I want whatever I do to be reversible in case I ever want to return the truck to stock, and hacking up the stock pipe to remove the scoop isn't an option since I'm not the one actually doing the work. Of course the EGR valve will be ruined, but that's fine. I can always get another one later if need be.

Is the stock up pipe really that restrictive? If it's not gonna cost me a lot of power, I'd rather go the cheap way and just block it with the plate.

How about leaving the cooler intact? I would think if it's completely blocked, there would be no chance of it failing since the hottest it would ever get is what the water temp is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
I'm taking my truck in for studs in a few weeks and am trying to figure out what method to go with the EGR delete. Elite has a complete kit that eliminates the cooler completely and comes with an up pipe and all hardware for $475. It looks like a good kit, but that's really pushing me to the limit money wise. My other options are a sneaky pipe and just weld the EGR valve shut or just use the stock up pipe and use the little metal plate.

I want whatever I do to be reversible in case I ever want to return the truck to stock, and hacking up the stock pipe to remove the scoop isn't an option since I'm not the one actually doing the work. Of course the EGR valve will be ruined, but that's fine. I can always get another one later if need be.

Is the stock up pipe really that restrictive? If it's not gonna cost me a lot of power, I'd rather go the cheap way and just block it with the plate.

How about leaving the cooler intact? I would think if it's completely blocked, there would be no chance of it failing since the hottest it would ever get is what the water temp is.
At the very least, do what I did. I went with the sneaky pipe from elite and blocked off my egr cooler when it was in the shop to replace the EGR cooler and HG's. It was cheaper and I wanted the "stock look" for warranty purposes or I would have deleted the whole thing. I now have over 20k miles of heavy towing with no problems with my EGR cooler or puking. I went through several EGR coolers before blocking it due to towing, even with stock tuning...
Old 10-10-2008, 12:02 PM

That's good to know. I usually never tow anything over 8k, but if my mom ever sells her place in Florida, she's gonna buy a 5er, and then I'll have something big enough to start causing me problems.

With the Sneaky pipe, you don't need the blockoff plate, right? If I can just get a sneaky pipe and have the EGR valve welded shut, that's just 165 bucks. That's not too bad.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:55 PM

Tech- I just relooked at their description of the sneaky pipe. Says you use the included block off plate. so I'm guessing maybe it does have pass thru? If that's the case I'll go with a straight pipe, no EGR T. Flex, or solid though...?

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 10-10-2008 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:31 PM

I've saw a picture somewhere earlier today, and it was just a flange welded to a straight pipe with no pass through. Now I can't find the picture again. LOL
Old 10-10-2008, 07:51 PM

I give up. I can't find the picture again. I guess the picture could have been a stock up pipe that somebody modified and then ground the welds so it looked like that to begin with. The sneaky pipe coming with the block off plate pretty much says it has the EGR pass through. If you think about it, that's extremely dumb since the point of it is deleting EGR. Maybe I'll try to pick up a used up pipe and grind the scoop out myself. It seems that would be a lot cheaper than the sneaky pipe and would amount to the same thing.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Does blocking the EGR improve fuel economy?
Old 10-11-2008, 05:46 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
I give up. I can't find the picture again. I guess the picture could have been a stock up pipe that somebody modified and then ground the welds so it looked like that to begin with. The sneaky pipe coming with the block off plate pretty much says it has the EGR pass through. If you think about it, that's extremely dumb since the point of it is deleting EGR. Maybe I'll try to pick up a used up pipe and grind the scoop out myself. It seems that would be a lot cheaper than the sneaky pipe and would amount to the same thing.
Sneaky pipe includes the block off plate which will prevent any exhaust flow through the cooler. You could grind out the scoop, but then you will definitely be voiding warranty. With the sneaky pipe, it looks EXACTLY like the stocker, but without the scoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedance1 View Post
Does blocking the EGR improve fuel economy?
I'm sure it is responsible for a slight increase in fuel economy, but I would imagine that the SCT tunes are responsible for most of the improvement. I picked up 2mpg on a fairly long trip after blocking off the EGR cooler and new head gaskets, but I was also tuned on the trip back...
Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 PM

the sneaky petes work well if you need to keep factory look but i went a step further and installed the egr delete kit it completely removes the cooler assembly and puts a stainless steel tube in its place and a block off plate for the up pipe i just like not having the possibility of cooler failing and leaking coolant but that just me both do the job
Old 10-15-2008, 01:51 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If you can swing it, delete the WHOLE thing with the studs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.