Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

White Smoke on Start up?

3K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  forddieseldoctor 
#1 ·
Hey guys, ever since I got back from a road trip to Oklahoma towing a 4 horse goose neck, I have noticed that my truck gives a little puff of white smoke on start up. This wasn't the first time towing, it was just after this trip. Truck has 18,500 on it and it is completely stock except for the 4 inch straight pipe.

#4 ·
Damn, I knew it was something not fun. I know there's no water in the fuel, because I've ran through about six tanks since then.

#6 ·
on a 6.0 i dont see it being glow plug issues they dont give many problems for that , im thinkin more along the lines of youust got back froma trip, and i have a feeling the egr valve is sticking open a little , that may sound crazy, but o a rip is when egr function is used the most , so it may be trying to stick, and has this truck been reprogrammed to the latest calibration, that will help also

#8 ·
Last time the truck was in for service was in July I believe, but I don't remember them flashing it at all so probably not. Quick question, when does the EGR open and close? How does it know?

#9 ·
The EGR valve is always cycling open/ closed under pressure. It is pretty easy to pull out if ya wanna take a look at it yourself. Stump did an EGR valve write up some time ago.
I had my first EGR issue and Ford corrected it with flash. Each time you get flash ...... it is possible to loose some mpg. just my .02 worth

#14 ·
I had the same problem with my 03 and my PCM went bad. They tried flashing it first didnt work. Than I had to buy the PCM it was like $700 bucks no fun! Than ford charged me to flash the computer back. Just make sure the flash works I had to go back several times for them to get the truck right after that. Hope it helps!

#22 ·
mine smokes a little on startup. it also runs like crap and is throwing codes p0401 and p006A. could the flash be the problem? it just started doing this stuff when it got really cold around here.

#23 ·
Mine does it when temps are low too. It's annoying to others (Wife) but doesn't really bother me.:dunno:

#27 ·
I noticed mine this morn, but only after I put my SCT on. I just had the egr, cooler, and oil cooler fixed. Its just a little white smoke. goes away pretty quick. probably dont need to worry right?

#30 ·
The reflash has to be done by a ford dealer. yeah it is just an update in software. it's only recommended to reflash when there is a tsb that addresses an issue that pertains to your truck. such as the runs rough cold.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.