new to diesels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to diesels

love my 05 f350 so i want to keep it. starting to get cold so when do you start plugging in the block heater and what do i do to stop fuel from gelling? also has anyone used sea foam in a diesel? i used it all the time in my 5.4 f250 and it says gas & diesel on the label?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 05:12 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

specs we are told from ford are any time temp is below 40 degrees ,like i say thats ford specs , some people plug them in and some dont , as far as fuel additive , thats is personal preference , youll hear every brand out there is better than the other so what i advise is , what works for you is what is best
Old 09-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I usually don't bother plugging mine in until it gets below freezing. The truck will start much more easily, run better while warming up, and warm up very quickly. The heat will work almost immediately. The downside is it can cost $.50-$1.00 a day or so to run it depending on your electric rates, but a lot of that is made back up by the fuel savings of the fast warm up. Diesels really suck fuel when they're cold. A timer set to turn on a few hours before you leave in the morning will save you some money on electricity. You don't really have to plug it in, though. It will still start even if it's below zero.

Like Scuffy said, fuel additive is your preference. I use Power Service Diesel Kleen. It seems to pick up a little MPG when I run it. If you're worried about gelling, you can use the white bottle in the winter time, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets way colder than -10 or so. I've never seen gelling when running no additive, and it gets below zero where I'm at. The winter formula diesel is already set up not to gel.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

thanks for theinfo i will have to check in on the timer for the winter
Old 09-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

ford makes a fuel additive that is reasonably priced. there is two types. there is a cetane booster that ford recommends be run with every tank, and they also have the anti-gel which also has a cetane booster in it. last i checked they were approx $7.00 per bottle which treats 250 gallons
Old 09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got an 05 F250 6.0..
This is my first diesel truck and so far i love it. However i am dumb when it comes to this truck.... I can't seem to find my block warmer?? Can anyone point me in the right direction???? I have been looking on the passinger side down around the ehaust. Am i even close???? thanks and God bless..
Old 09-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

right side of front bumper right by the right hand tow hook, may be buried a little, but u should be able to find it.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey thanks alot.. I'll look there tomorrow....
sorry for such a stupid question...
Old 09-30-2008, 04:48 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_F250FX4_6.0 View Post
hey thanks alot.. I'll look there tomorrow....
sorry for such a stupid question...
No such thing as a stupid question about your truck. We all started out knowing virtually nothing about these beasts.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_F250FX4_6.0 View Post
I got an 05 F250 6.0..
This is my first diesel truck and so far i love it. However i am dumb when it comes to this truck.... I can't seem to find my block warmer?? Can anyone point me in the right direction???? I have been looking on the passinger side down around the ehaust. Am i even close???? thanks and God bless..
You're looking in the right place for the heater. The cord is where the other guys said it was, but it's not always there. It's an option, and many trucks that were originally sold in the south don't have it. The heater itself is always there, though. You'll just have to pick up a cord for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.