Serpentine Belt Help Please!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Serpentine Belt Help Please!!!

It's time to replace my serpentine belt. I also have a slightly annoying sqeak, probably my tensioner pulley bearing or something- gonna investigate while I'm in there. Also going to check the ac clutch and stuff- make sure things are good.

Question is: Do I need to pull the fan to change the belt? Looks to me like I need to pull it to get the old belt out and the new one in there, as well as access the other items. How does the fan come off? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2008, 12:51 PM

i would say no.dont know the 6.0,but im still sayin no,theres got to be a way to snake it through
Old 09-28-2008, 01:16 PM

Took the upper fan shrouding off, and it's looking more and more like I'm gonna have to pull the fan. Not sure how to get it off though. I would think there is one bolt or nut holding it onto the shaft, but I can't see one. There looks to be some type of rotational sensor on the forward end of the fan shaft. ????
Old 09-28-2008, 01:30 PM

you should be able to snake it around the fan i would think,just get it over one blade at a time,shouldnt be much diff then the 7.3.i just dont think they would make it were you would have to pull the fan to change the belt.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:38 PM

Hey there 97powerstroker. I really need the advise from someone who has worked on the 6.0 to give me the lowdown. The 6.0 has a funky azz fan shroud in the front and the back. I had a 7.3 awhile back and this thing is set up differently. Thanks for the advise though.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:46 PM

here ia a little info i looked up
THE MANUAL SAY TO CUT THE SHROUD, BUT IF YOU REMOVE THE TOP RADIATOR SUPPORTS AND PULL THE HARNESS AND RADIATOR BACK. YOU CAN THEN PULL THE FRONT PIECE OF THE SHROUD OUT. THEN YOU UNBOLT THE SHROUD AND FAN AND PULL OUT AS ONE. im tryin to help,ill look for more
Old 09-28-2008, 01:54 PM

this any better
6.0 belt looks bad but it's not.
1. Take the air filter off and the intake pipe off of the cold side it will allow access to those pulley's on the left side of the engine. and give you a better view of what you are doing.

Second grab the old belt from the right side if you'll look down there is a catch lever you can set on the tensioner. Pull slack out of the belt then with your other hand set the latch, this will hold the tensioner in full flex and relax the pressure on the belt. Now you can remove the old one and watch how it comes off. New belt will go around two pulley on the left side, over the water pump/fan pully and down and OVER the Harmonic balancer and crankshaft. Now it goes over another idler the around the A/C past the tensioner and over the alternator, then continous down under another idler and back to the left side. Yours may be a little differnet since it is an 05 and mine is an 03 but i bet the concept is still much the same. Once the belt is on and in place just grab it pull slack out of tensioner again and flip the latch down now the tensioner should put full flex on the belt , just make sure your belt is all lined up and in the right grooves.

Tips: be patient , when your pulling the belt over the crank turn it on its side so it will pass between the balancer and the stator.

Hope this helps
Old 09-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Thanks 97! I was just out messin with the tensioner trying to get it to release tension on the belt. I knew about the tension release switch but Not able to get it there yet. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for the assist.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:10 PM

heres this also

yep the shroud has to be cut at the the cut lines so the belt can snake over the fan and out it comes, real nice feature to prevent unwanted theft of said serpentine belts

i have heard of someone removing it without splitting the shrund but never seen it done.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:03 PM

Thanks 97!!!* Got it done.* You get the official assist on this one.* Put that in your stats.* hehehe* I didn't have to cut anything, and it didn't have to come out around the fan.* Kinda surprised me.* When I looked at it after talking with you, the belt only goes over the fan pulley, both directions.* Had to remove the CAC engine IN tube, but that was easy.* Took longer to take the belt off than to put the new one on.* Engine tested SAT.* Thanks again Bro!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.