Just got my beast back, no start condition. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just got my beast back, no start condition.

Hey again everyone,

I Just got my truck back last night, the tech was really up front from all the problems he's found with it. I found that it's an '04 model with an '03 engine, I'm still on the fence about keeping it but for now I'm happy.

I left the dealership with the knowledge that my driveshaft either needed to be replaced or rebuilt. Took it to a driveline shop to get the job quoted ($1100.00 at the dealer for a new driveshaft) and they quoted me about $500 for a rebuild, rebalance. The tech at the dealership told me my slip yoke was very worn and needed replacement. So I have an appointment next week to have Coast Powertrain re-do the driveshaft, he also mentioned that the drive outta my t-case was quite loose, seems this thing's been driven pretty hard.

So, anyways, I took it out, grabbed the family, threw in some fuel, went to the lake/park/pizza joint to treat them to dinner, fired her up to come home, felt the ponies, enjoyed the sweet whistle and finally parked her in the driveway.

This morning I went to go fire her up so we could take my son out to his soccer game and pick up his new toy motorbike and the truck would crank but no start.

After the game I tried starting it again, and I'm at a loss, the starter is fine, it's cranking hard but just not starting.

The things I've noticed are this:

The glow plug indicator turns off.
The injectors are buzzing happily.
The HPOP is priming (I think)
The Fuel pump primes for some time.

And still no start. I've almost killed the batteries cranking her .

What can I look for to check? I looked underneath, but I can't find the fuel filter (I know where the small one in the engine compartment is, but not the other one).

Hmm.. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to troid123
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjudas View Post
Hey again everyone,

I Just got my truck back last night, the tech was really up front from all the problems he's found with it. I found that it's an '04 model with an '03 engine, I'm still on the fence about keeping it but for now I'm happy.

I left the dealership with the knowledge that my driveshaft either needed to be replaced or rebuilt. Took it to a driveline shop to get the job quoted ($1100.00 at the dealer for a new driveshaft) and they quoted me about $500 for a rebuild, rebalance. The tech at the dealership told me my slip yoke was very worn and needed replacement. So I have an appointment next week to have Coast Powertrain re-do the driveshaft, he also mentioned that the drive outta my t-case was quite loose, seems this thing's been driven pretty hard.

So, anyways, I took it out, grabbed the family, threw in some fuel, went to the lake/park/pizza joint to treat them to dinner, fired her up to come home, felt the ponies, enjoyed the sweet whistle and finally parked her in the driveway.

This morning I went to go fire her up so we could take my son out to his soccer game and pick up his new toy motorbike and the truck would crank but no start.

After the game I tried starting it again, and I'm at a loss, the starter is fine, it's cranking hard but just not starting.

The things I've noticed are this:

The glow plug indicator turns off.
The injectors are buzzing happily.
The HPOP is priming (I think)
The Fuel pump primes for some time.

And still no start. I've almost killed the batteries cranking her .

What can I look for to check? I looked underneath, but I can't find the fuel filter (I know where the small one in the engine compartment is, but not the other one).

Hmm.. Any ideas?
Sorry about your troubles man...some one should be along shortly to help you out, here is a
Old 09-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thx for the bump! Well I've got all day tomorrow waiting for ideas. The diesel techs at the dealer don't work 'till monday. I'm hoping just to limp it together so I can save the $400.00 tow bill.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The other fuel filter is on the left side frame rail just under the driver seat
Old 09-28-2008, 06:55 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

there is only one true way to know why it wont start , get a scanner on it and see what it doesnt have , , need to know what fuel pressure is ,and filters will not be your problem, need to know what icp pressure is when cranking ,does the oil pressure gauge come up when spinning , if it has been spun over alot , and not started , it should have left a code at least in memory , and may help pinpoint closer whats goin on , are batteries charged fully, it can be spinning what you think is fast enough , but still be losing enough power to the pcm to not start ,k id start there first , being that it sat overnight and then wouldnt start makes me think battery voltage is low
Old 09-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Scuffy,

When you say battery voltage, should I be checking amps as well? Reason being, is that I checked the voltage on the batteries and they read 12.7 volts. If this isn't enough, which battery do I connect the charger to?

Thanks!
Old 09-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan's 04 View Post
The other fuel filter is on the left side frame rail just under the driver seat
Yeah I found it, I got confused from seeing the replacement fuel pumps on ebay. Should've known it was in the pump. Gotta find out what the issues are first and maybe find a writeup on how to change the filter underneath, I remember reading that people were getting diesel baths.

Heh.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, here are the symptoms.

I've put it on a charger and then let it sit for 4 hours. Cranks really hard. The oil pressure gauge takes about 30 secs to go up to half way, otherwise stays off. The rpms go up a touch over zero as I'm cranking it.

I don't know what else to tell you.

Question:
Does it matter which battery I'm charging? Are they in parallel?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my 06 gave me problems of not starting one time. it cranked and fires and died rt away. it was still under warranty and the dealer fou nd my fuel pump inertia switch to be bad. i had never been in a wreck or jared the truck hard but it may be worth a shot to check it. cant hurt anything.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjudas View Post
Scuffy,

When you say battery voltage, should I be checking amps as well? Reason being, is that I checked the voltage on the batteries and they read 12.7 volts. If this isn't enough, which battery do I connect the charger to?

Thanks!
not necesarily amps, just make sure they are unhooked from each other to check, if not unhooked , the readings you get wont be accurate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.