Just a few questions about the 6.0's....(I'm new @ this) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just a few questions about the 6.0's....(I'm new @ this)

Hello guys,
First of all, I am new to a diesel truck. I just bought an 05 F250FX4 with 55,000 miles. The truck is great condition and as far as I know it is completly stock. I got the truck because I race GNCC (ATV racing), and I want to pull an enclosed trailer to the races. The biggest we are talking is around a 7x14 or so. One of the questions that I have is this truck enough for what I plan on using it for? I have been looking at tunners and programmers, but I have read that the 6.0's don't like to be "turned up". Is this true? If I get anything it would be just to get better fuel mileage and just a little more power. Or do I need to just put an exhaust and intake on and let it be at that? Sorry for all the questions but this is all new to me and I have a thousand questions.
Thanks and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to stockcar12
i have a 06 stroker and i pull a 28 foot enclosed racecar trailer with a lot of weight if your looking for better mileage and to help towing (with that small of a trailer =not much weight) get a turbo back exhaust,CAI,and a tuner it will help with mpg and towing plus when your empty they are fun to play with nothing like a 8 thousand pound truck hauling a$$ rolling some coal!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Guages, exhaust, and an SCT with custom tunes for what you want the truck to be.... no need for an intake.... better mileage and WAY MORE SAFE POWER!!!
Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Your truck is plenty powerful enough to do what you want. You can turn it up. But if you go to crazy you will need head studs.

I say go for the 4 inch straight pipe, gauges ( Pyro, Boost, Trans Temp), cold air intake, and then something with mild custom tunes on it like the SCT. After that you will be happy and your truck will have all the power you would ever need.

You can check with the sponsors on the site. As I know a few of them have power package bundles.

Stealth Automotive is one that comes to mind. As well as Discount Power Parts.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:29 PM

Welcome to the ORG. And congrats on your new Truck. The 6.0L will do great towing for you. There is nothing needed to do. BUT if you do was a little more UMF while pulling then get a tuner(SCT) with a good tow tune(65H.P). A little more power and MPG's, The exhaust is a great idea. Let the motor breath a little better and lower your EGT's on those long hauls.
I run an 04 6.0L and pull 3/4 of the time. I straight piped it to lower EGT's and are running an SCT tuner for extra power(And tons of fun), There is plenty you can do to your truck to make it tough and quick. If needed.
As far as your comment on the 6.0L liking tuners. Your reference is to the heads. The factory head bolts are a weak point on these trucks, If you plan to run hot tunes and hard. Then it would be a good idea to replace the head bolts with studs. You race you know the strength a stud has over a bolt.
But as I said initially. For what you are dong, Your set for now.

Enjoy
Old 09-27-2008, 12:38 AM

The other guys have you covered on the tuner, gauges, and such. You won't even feel a 14 foot trailer behind you, and you won't believe the mileage you'll get towing. I've got several thousand miles logged towing a trailer probably not much lighter than yours, about 6-7k pounds. I usually get in the 15s towing that weight with a bed full of crap and 3 not so small people. Even at 8-10k, you'll see over 13. In my F-150, I got maybe 8 towing 6k.

If you don't run the hot tunes, you're not very likely to lift the heads, so I'd just hold off on studs until you need them unless you've got the cash burning a hole in your pocket. Studs are nice insurance to have but not absolutely necessary.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok guys...
I'm sorry but you have to excuse me for me being dumb (when it comes to diesels)....
You all said something about EGT's, waht are EGT's????
Like I said before, I'm not looking for a ton more power, I think for what I plan on doing with the truck, the power is great. I was just looking for a little better MPG... I want this truck to last for a long time so I don't want to do anything that will damage the motor later on down the road. But whatever I do, I want it to be done right. Thanks for all the information....
Old 09-27-2008, 03:52 PM

EGTs are exhaust gas temperature. It's critical not to let them run too hot too long. You don't want to run more than 1250 continuously, and try to keep bursts above 1400 to just a few seconds or less. Aluminum melts around 1400 or so. On the really hot tunes you can see over 1600 when you stay on it for a bit, like a quarter mile run,but it won't hurt anything as long as you back off as soon as it gets that high. The reason for an aftermarket exhaust is to help lower EGTs.

You will also see higher EGTs when you're towing heavy loads in the hills or mountains. That's another reason having a pyrometer (EGT gauge) is important. That way you can back off before they get dangerous.

For more than just a minute improvement in mileage, you're gonna have to get a tuner. The increased timing from the tuner is what improves your mileage. There are things you can get like a Snow Max MPG water/meth kit that also improve mileage. I hear those are really working, but I would get gauges, exhaust, and a tuner first before looking into water/meth. As long as you don't abuse the truck, the tuner is not going to significantly reduce longevity. You can blow the truck up even running stock if you abuse it.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:15 PM

ya man if you are looking for better mpg you may think about little mods like just take the cat out and muff. if you like the sound but you dont have to change the hole thing out and the intake you dont sound like you are going to make that much power so you could do like a zoodad mod. all of this is cheap and easy.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05_F250FX4_6.0 View Post
Ok guys...
I'm sorry but you have to excuse me for me being dumb (when it comes to diesels)....
You all said something about EGT's, what are EGT's????
Like I said before, I'm not looking for a ton more power, I think for what I plan on doing with the truck, the power is great. I was just looking for a little better MPG... I want this truck to last for a long time so I don't want to do anything that will damage the motor later on down the road. But whatever I do, I want it to be done right. Thanks for all the information....
Diesel engines are unlike gas pieces. When you increase power/efficiency you increase MPG's An SCT tuner will increase power/MPG's and the life of your engine. It will reprogram parameters to be more efficient which leads to power and MPG's increased.
"EGT" is an acronym for Exhaust Gas Temperatures. It is crucial to keep these low. The higher the EGT's to more damage you are doing to internal parts.

Does this answer your question.
Someone mentioned Straight piping the truck. If you delete the cat. You (once again) are prolonging the life on the engine. You are lowering EGT's plus letting the motor breath. This can void warranty so look into it a little further with the dealer you plan to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.