Differentials - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 08:59 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Differentials

Why does Ford use "open" differentials in the front axle as oppossed to Traction-Lok unit in the Fx4/4x4 diesel trucks??

I have an '04 F-250 Fx4 Ext cab/long bed and the rear diff is Traction-Lok but front is "open". It just seems for the best thing to have done was use a Traction-Lok unit in the front axle as well....after all these are 4x4 trucks.

From what I understand, the "open" differential gives power to the wheel with the least resistance, so going off road, you can get a one wheel spin from the front and basically have a 3-wheel drive truck...which doesn't make any sense.

BTW...I know the rear end is 10.5" but is the front a Dana 60??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 09:11 AM

The only way you can get traction lok,limited slip ,or positrac what ever you want to call it is to order it seperatly or with a package it isnt put in from the factory for cost reasons
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
my truck is a Fx4 and it doesnt have a LS up front..... your front should be a dana 60

the FORD OEM LS are not that good anyways... your better off getting a selectable locker for the front like a air or E locker
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 AM

I want to put a 'locker' or a limited slip in my 2wd f350 - it is a one wheel drive when it is slick or muddy.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbawilliams View Post
I want to put a 'locker' or a limited slip in my 2wd f350 - it is a one wheel drive when it is slick or muddy.
you must have a open diff, I've got one in the front axle, so I feel your pain I've heard that the detroit locker is the best unit for our trucks. Im sure someone will chime in if their are other options.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
my truck is a Fx4 and it doesnt have a LS up front..... your front should be a dana 60

the FORD OEM LS are not that good anyways... your better off getting a selectable locker for the front like a air or E locker
my rear LS seems to be working fine. It definately locks both rear wheels on and off road. And will leave 2 black marks in the pavement when holding the brakes and mashing the throttle.

Think I'll replace the front unit with a Detroit locker for now and when I get extra money I'll do the rear and upgrade to some 4.30gears for both axles.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
If you put a traction diff in the front axle you want to make sure that it is something like an ARB that you can manually lock when you want to but unlock as well. The reason they are not there from the factory is because they are dangerous in the hands of a novice.

Think about it for a minute. What happens when you really romp on it and both back wheels break loose? You slide sideways now don't you. So if you have both front wheels loose grip your front end is going to go sideways. Now if your on the road and hit an ice patch or something you are out of control because both ends of the vehicle are going to slide out on you. Without posi one of your tires sits there to anchor you so you don't go slipping and sliding all over the road.

You do not want to run a detroit locker or any other posi unit that you can not disable on the highway. They are great for dedicated off road buggies and such but not street vehicles.

So endeth the lesson.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
yah im with Pgreen.... you do not want a detroit up front... you will hate it... it has this clunk noise when its disengaging when turning and you will def hate it...

you want a selectable locker up front and a detroit in the rear

the OEM LS will eventually give out.... and depening on how much power your putting down they tend to not grip as well with more HP....
Old 09-23-2008, 04:54 PM

Tru Trac for the rear and an electric or air locker up front. Wish i had the time and money i would have done it to mine while i had the front end apart
Old 09-24-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
If you put a traction diff in the front axle you want to make sure that it is something like an ARB that you can manually lock when you want to but unlock as well. The reason they are not there from the factory is because they are dangerous in the hands of a novice.

Think about it for a minute. What happens when you really romp on it and both back wheels break loose? You slide sideways now don't you. So if you have both front wheels loose grip your front end is going to go sideways. Now if your on the road and hit an ice patch or something you are out of control because both ends of the vehicle are going to slide out on you. Without posi one of your tires sits there to anchor you so you don't go slipping and sliding all over the road.

You do not want to run a detroit locker or any other posi unit that you can not disable on the highway. They are great for dedicated off road buggies and such but not street vehicles.

So endeth the lesson.
Wow, Neva thought about it that way...your exactly right. Thanks....Think Im gonna look into that ARB air locker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.