Transmission Filter pan gasket - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 05:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Filter pan gasket

Does anyone know if the factory Motorcraft 5R110 transmission pan filter comes with a pan gasket and if not, whether the factory one is reusable? I'm going to be changing both filters as soon as mine come in later in the week and want to know whether I have to go to Ford and order the gasket too.

Anything special I need to know before swapping fluid and filters? Or is it similar to the way I did it in my F-150?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 05:38 AM
I don't know nuttin....

the factory pan gasket is a reusable gasket.
I just check on this last night as i have to drop my pan and change the tranny temp sender in the valve body under the pan. They told me i do not need a pan gasket.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 AM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
your gasket is reusable. there is no need to replace it. If you do make sure its a ford reusable. otherwise it wont seal right and it will leak
Old 09-24-2008, 05:33 AM

Thanks. At least that's one part I don't have to buy. Man, they're proud of that Mercon SP stuff.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:06 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
Thanks. At least that's one part I don't have to buy. Man, they're proud of that Mercon SP stuff.
How much is it? I'm going to drop my tranny pan this weekend and will have to buy more fluid but i haven't priced it yet.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redstroker_2002 View Post
your gasket is reusable. there is no need to replace it. If you do make sure its a ford reusable. otherwise it wont seal right and it will leak
I dunno my OEM one leaks and I have yet to change the fluid once, or even drop the pan........
Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 PM

Guys, I did mine to have a look in 06, and it is a really good re-usable gasket.

Look at the bolt holes to make sure nothing is over tightened or anything to crush it on re-use... The pan is only tin, and if the bolt holes are dimpled in just give them a light tap back out flat, so the bolts do not crush the gasket on re-use... Tighten lightly all the way around once at first, and then more firmly..

But I bought a spare and never used it on my 06 here in OZ...

Not likely to buy another spare one for my new 07 King Ranch FX/4 CC LWB F-350...

I went away, and did an 08 Silverado... Nice car, but light and tinny..

And now I am back home with an 07... The last of the Saddle Leather look King Ranch... Home to stay I think.. The new 6.4 has too much of everything and a bit gay of a maroon leather. An old horseman like me can't go past my new 07 King Ranch F-350 with only 10,000 miles on the clock..
Old 09-24-2008, 08:28 PM

Most places seem to be at least 5 bucks a quart online. The dealer wanted 8 something. It takes something like 20 quarts, so that gets really expensive really fast. I've looked at all the auto parts stores online, and none list it for sale, but I might drive by tomorrow and see for sure. Advance stocks a lot of Motorcraft parts.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
Most places seem to be at least 5 bucks a quart online. The dealer wanted 8 something. It takes something like 20 quarts, so that gets really expensive really fast. I've looked at all the auto parts stores online, and none list it for sale, but I might drive by tomorrow and see for sure. Advance stocks a lot of Motorcraft parts.
You'll find that you don't need near that much when you change it. I bought 20 quarts and still have 6 bottles left. The torque converter and tranny cooler/plumbing is likely responsible for the other 6...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.