New Truck 6.0 Fuel Mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2005, 03:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Truck 6.0 Fuel Mileage

Men,

I recently returned to man-truck-world with the purchase of a new F-350 6.0 auto, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW with 4.10 gears and cannot express how happy I am. I had a 7.3 Power Stroke that I averaged 17 mpg and was shocked at the first fill-up of my new 6.0 with an average of 14.3 mpg. The Big Hoss only has 1000 miles, should I be concerned ...?

Frankie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2005, 07:45 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
how fast were you driving? Mine has 3.73's and gets 12 when i'm putting around, stop and go. but gets 20 mpg at 45 MPH
Old 12-31-2005, 04:29 AM

James,

I Have only filled up it 3 times and each fill-up had varying speeds: around town driving, highway at 75-80 mph (getting on it) and 70 mph babying it.

FR
Old 12-31-2005, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Welcome to powerstrokeforum.com Frankie! Well you just bought the truck so it's gonna take a little while to get it fully broken in and all. And driving 75-80 doesn't help! You'd save a lot of fuel driving closer to 55 or even 60. Faster you go the harder the engine has to work against all that air. Plus you've got the biggest and heaviest cab/body configuration. Did you have the same in your 7.3? Don't be too concerned...be conservative and take it easy with the right foot and you'll see a difference.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:47 AM

Smokin'

I appreciate the advise and you made me feel better. My 7.3 had the same configuration with the exception that it was a 6-spd. I'll lay off the heavy right foot ...

Frankie
Old 12-31-2005, 12:46 PM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Gun

I'll lay off the heavy right foot ...

Frankie
Aw now what fun is that?!
Welcome to Powerstroke.org Frankie!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Oh it's definitely no fun! But with fuel prices the way they are now it's definitely necessary!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unhappy 06 F350 4x4, SRW

The dealership filled my tank upon buying the truck. I pumped it myself.

My first fillup after that, I was getting around 18 MPG. I thought this was great, was happy as I could be.

However, the next two fillups, I averaged around 13.5 MPG. Whats up with that. I have been driving pretty much the same. On the highway, I try to keep it between 65 and 70. Everywhere else, I ride the speed limit most the time.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get better mileage? Is replacing the air intake the answer? Maybe one of the putor chips, etc, that are advertised to get more HP, Torque, better fuel mileage? Someone fill me in....Where should I go from here?

Thanks,
Old 01-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Be happy with 13.5 (or at least attempt to). First, it's a BIG truck, second, your turning twice as much drive train as a 4X2. What is your RPM at 65 to 70? I seem to get my best when keeping it at or just below 2000 (62 MPH). I have the tow boss 4:30 LS rear end, so I didn't expect miracles when I got the truck, and it hasn't disappointed. Around town, I average just over 15 (stop and go), and when I hit the road pulling a 13,000 pound 5th wheel, I average just over 12. It's not something to write home about, but considering, it's not shabby either. As for air intake or chipping it. I've heard both pro's and con's, but more con's on increasing fuel milage, it usually stays the same or decreases.

Last edited by 2006KR; 01-03-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:21 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I filled up the other day and logged 15mph around town. Hopefully as the engine breaks in, the mileage will increase. As far as after market add-ons, I would suggest an Air Intake system and 4" exhaust (mandrel bent, stainless). There are a multitude of Chips available, they vary with the performance you wish to get out of your engine, but they will increase the work-load and EGTs'. Air Intake Systems vary, but I suggest the K&N FIP Kit (million mile warranty) and a 4" exhaust can reduce back pressure by as much as 98% (any stainless mandrel bent system will do). These two should increase fuel mileage; I have both planned for the Big Hoss when the budget permits ("Budget" is another name for wife). Frankie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.