6.0L head gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L head gaskets

Hiya im new here and i am panicking......one or both of my head gaskets are leaking...im getting diesel fumes out of my water tank......has anyone heard of, or had dealings with, Steel Seal....their site sounds very impressive and they have assured it it will fix my problem....heres hoping for some good reports.......its on a 2004 6.0L power choke, 176000 miles.. dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would like to be the first to say to Steel Seal. I wouldn't trust that stuff in my engine for anything.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Premium Member

to be honest, just remember you get what you pay for, and when it comes to these engines, I wouldn't trust that stuff in there
Old 09-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Big Daddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaguna View Post
its on a 2004 6.0L power choke, 176000 miles.. dave
There are a LOT of Ford and Powerstroke Techs on this forum, but I think using words like "power choke" probably won't win you any popularity contest. The Headgaskets usually blow because the head studs have stretched. It is common problem with the 6.0L. ARP makes some GREAT High Performance Studs! Talk to some of the techs on the board, they can probably give you more information.

Good luck, and welcome to the board even though it is under unfortunate circumstances.

Bob~!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

I have a strange feeling he sells that crap. he joins and immediately goes to marketing a product and wanting input on it.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Perhaps i should have introduced myself a little better.....i am a heavy diesel tech myself....i work on power strokes on a daily basis.....i just dont wanna spend the 6k to have a dealer do the job....i have no way of lifting the cab myself to allow me to do the gaskets......as for the comment of "power choke"....it was a phrase i picked up whilst on a powerstroke course run by ford......i do not work for steel seal, i was just seeing if any one had any dealings with them..hope this clears up some of the concerns of this thread......dave
Old 09-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Premium Member

6k for head studs???? you can get a whole brand new motor for that
Old 09-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

exactly, these comments look like they are made up
if you are a diesel tech, u would know you 'could' do headgaskets without lifting the cab, it is just easier to do it lifting the cab.
and as far as steel seal, what do you do about the damage that possibly has already happened to the motor if there are blown headgaskets. you can get headgaskets done anywhere from $1800-$2500 at most shops. $6k???
Old 09-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

All those products that I've heard dubed as "mechanic in a bottle" may work, for a few thousand k. If it works at all. But when it does go and you take it apart, you're gona have a long day. Personally I wouldn't recommend that crap to anyone that plans on keeping the car past next week.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

have you ever tried doing anything to the engine with the cab on??.....you cant clean the block correctly.....you cant sit the heads on without running the risk of catching the gaskets......and the price i quoted is straight from the local dealer.....trust me if i thought there was another way i would take it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.