2005 Steering Box - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 04:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Hent Send a message via Yahoo to Hent
2005 Steering Box

I recently installed a dual steering stabilizer to help control some of my "steering" issues.

Now it's really tight, except when the wheels are turned forward - there seems to be 1-3" of play in either direction before anything moves. After further inspection, it seems like the bottom of my steering box has a bad bearing or something? I checked the bolts holding it onto the frame and they are all tight.

So my question is, has anyone else had this problem? Is this something I can repair/rebuild, or do I need to get a new one. If I do need to purchase anew, does anyone have any recommendations on places to get them? Is a used one a viable option?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 05:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

before I started replacing parts I would have someone sit in truck w/ running and in park wheels strait. Have them start rocking the steering wheel left to right enough to make the wheels start to turn. you should be inform of the truck watching the tie rod ends and drag link for play. you can also watch the steering box while your down there. Id hate to see you replace the steering box when all you need is tie rod ends or drag link ends.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:12 AM

Ggoodman,

Thanks for the reply.

This is something I've already done and have narrowed it down to the steering box.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Hent,

There is a TSB for that issue (#04-26-1) which call for a steering gear adjustment. Take the truck to your local dealer and have them fix it under warranty.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

i replaced mine...got it from orriely, it was like $175...but there was a $200 core charge. but it's not hard to change.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

go to this web site, Sam's 4x4 Store, look up the AGR Rock Ram. spendy but works great. we can thank ford for poor design
jeff
Old 09-16-2008, 07:33 AM

There is no "poor" design in SD steering boxes, gm and dodge both have more steering issues than ford, futhermore they all use similar boxes, but for 05+ ford increased the size of the steering sector shaft and other internal parts. the problem is big tires,and wide rims, and dropped pitman arms, all of which place more load on the box dual stabilizers are dampener for that increased load and vibration from the big tires etc. They do not cure any problems with steering play. It is unrealistic to expect a heavy truck with a thousand pound motor that gets driven like a sportscar/race truck/semi(come on we know how these trucks get used) not to suffer an occaisional failure. Dodge trucks have many aftermarket fixes to cure their steering shortcomings, sector shaft support bearings come imediatly to mind, and don't even start on the fixes for gm hd steering!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hent View Post
I recently installed a dual steering stabilizer to help control some of my "steering" issues.

Now it's really tight, except when the wheels are turned forward - there seems to be 1-3" of play in either direction before anything moves. After further inspection, it seems like the bottom of my steering box has a bad bearing or something? I checked the bolts holding it onto the frame and they are all tight.

So my question is, has anyone else had this problem? Is this something I can repair/rebuild, or do I need to get a new one. If I do need to purchase anew, does anyone have any recommendations on places to get them? Is a used one a viable option?

Thanks.
There shouldn't be anything wrong with your box the truck is too new. I got friends that work the crap outa theres and have hundreds of thousands of miles on them and there boxes are fine. I think you have made suspension modifications that are causing your problem. The suggestion listed about haveing someone turn the wheel while you check for movement on various components is the first step in correcting this issue.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

There is no need to speculate, this is a VERY common problem with '05 SDs which FMC is very much aware of. It is simply a steering gear mesh issue which was present right off the show room floor. Add in a few thousand miles of wear on the tie rod ends and the issue then becomes a real problem.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Hent,

There is a TSB for that issue (#04-26-1) which call for a steering gear adjustment. Take the truck to your local dealer and have them fix it under warranty.
Thanks Overkill.

The truck has 91k on it. So, only under the Powerstroke warranty now.

Will they still perform the work for free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.