brand new breaks squealing - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 10:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
brand new breaks squealing

I may just be a girl and call me crazy but new breaks should not be squealing three days after you get them done. I had new break pads new routers and a new caliber put on my truck after the breaks went out last week. Cost an arm and a leg. Pissed me off originally because I hadn’t been driving the truck for a few months because I was commuting a lot. Got my truck back from my Mom who had switched with me and the breaks go out two days latter on a hill, in traffic! Lesson learned no one is EVER driving my truck again. Had to get it towed to the shop on Labor Day weekend. Five days latter I finally get it back. My service rep says I wouldn’t need break work done for a very long time. Three days latter I hit the breaks and what do you know they are squealing already!!! Any ideas for how best to approach the dealership when I take it back in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 11:02 PM
I have excessive flatulance!!

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nick
Just take it back to them. They put your brakes in and they should not be making any noise they need to fix it correctly. Sounds like the someone messed up.. Tell them to fix it and give u a rental car....
Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 AM
Serving Our Country!

^^^ What he said. Really the only time brakes should be making any noise is when the pads on gone and they're rubbing metal on metal.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:29 AM
one day at a time

I've heard pads wear in making a light rubbing/squealing sound before, but it should be pretty faint and not last more than a couple days at the most.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Brakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck_gurl View Post
I may just be a girl and call me crazy but new breaks should not be squealing three days after you get them done. I had new break pads new routers and a new caliber put on my truck after the breaks went out last week. Cost an arm and a leg. Pissed me off originally because I hadn’t been driving the truck for a few months because I was commuting a lot. Got my truck back from my Mom who had switched with me and the breaks go out two days latter on a hill, in traffic! Lesson learned no one is EVER driving my truck again. Had to get it towed to the shop on Labor Day weekend. Five days latter I finally get it back. My service rep says I wouldn’t need break work done for a very long time. Three days latter I hit the breaks and what do you know they are squealing already!!! Any ideas for how best to approach the dealership when I take it back in?
I also lost brakes on the front of my 03, fortunatley, I don't have to rely on a dealer to sking me again, but the backside of the rotors were gone. No one knows why! My lT FRT brake squeals a bit while turning right. I have a new set of slide pins to put in. Hope that solves the problem. If the dealer is as good as he thinks he is and had no reason to try to save a buck on your guide pins, they shoud have been changed with the rest of the junk that went bad. I hope you got to see the parts that were removed!!
Since you paid BIG BUCKS to the dealer, just take it back and in plain English tell them what it does & to give you a loaner. Good luck!

John
Old 09-14-2008, 06:08 AM

sounds like the tech did not set your pads right and they got hot and glazed over causing a squealing noise. take your truck back and have them fix it .
to brake in your brake pads you need to drive to 30-45 mph and come to a slow even stop about 3 times. but when you brake them in you stop the frist time drive a little bit to cool them and repete
Old 09-14-2008, 06:21 AM

I was taught to always wash the rotors with soap and water to remove any metal fragments or grease that may be present on the rotor surface........sounds like your tech skiped a simple but important step.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:14 AM
I have excessive flatulance!!

Send a message via AIM to Diesel Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tone View Post
I was taught to always wash the rotors with soap and water to remove any metal fragments or grease that may be present on the rotor surface........sounds like your tech skiped a simple but important step.
break clean works better and fast for us flat rate techs. he could of skipped that or he didn't lube the pins witch also makes break noise. But like I said before just take ur truck back tell them to fix and if its not goin to be done today they need to give u a rental car. Dealers are all about CSI... Costumer service is what they are all worried about. Oh yea almost forgot dont be fooled don't let the service writter charge you for this.. this is not ur mistake it theres..

Last edited by Diesel Nick; 09-14-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HEY Nick;

Thanks for that reply, I have not seen the soap & water thing in years! Before the good chemicals came on to the scene.
I looked at your web site. Nice job. My 03, 7.3 is stock except for rear bumper & xl floor. No more nasty carpet!
I just did a road trip & got 18+. For the past 5 years I have looked at several intake and exhaust changes. Exhaust is hard to do, since it ain't broken! The only chip that interests me is for economy.
enough of that. But it is encouraging a wrench w/ standards!

John
Old 09-21-2008, 07:56 AM

Hey thanks again everyone! I have been in the tinniest town in Oregon for the past week so will call Ford tomorrow. Thing is still making noise and they better fix it! I am sooo pissed about it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.