2005 F-250, I'm now even more confused - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 F-250, I'm now even more confused

Here's the quick version: I currently have a F-150, 5.4L, tow package, 3:73. I am towing a toy hauler, 27 ft, total weight of both vehicles: 14,560 lbs. 15,000 is max in the book. The truck doesn't like hills pulling that trailer, and I don't have confidence in doing so. Therefore I'm looking at a diesel. Been looking since April.

I found a good deal on a 2005 F-250, king ranch. So, once again, I look at this forum, and others to try to make an informed decision on a 2005 diesel. I seem to hear just as much negative as postive on just diesels in general, which scares me. And I've about talked myself out of one.

I have to use this truck as a primary driver. i drive 20 miles to work, most of it highway, trips to the store are 6 miles or more. I haul the toy hauler about 8-10 times a year, with round trips ranging 200-800 miles.

I also read all sorts of maintenance issues, having to warm the engine up properly, and having to let it idle for X amount of minutes before shutting it down, etc.. Seems to me I have to baby such a tough truck. Or am I just mislead here ? I want a truck that I can treat like a gasser, and is just as dependable. Also, my current truck gets 15 MPG with my weekly driving, and i hear all sorts of MPG differences with a F-250, which I don't like to see.. ya know.. 10 MPG to as much as 17 around town.

Help this newbie guy out.. For my personal needs, is a 2005 F-250 diesel the way to go for my primary vehicle ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
Here's the quick version: I currently have a F-150, 5.4L, tow package, 3:73. I am towing a toy hauler, 27 ft, total weight of both vehicles: 14,560 lbs. 15,000 is max in the book. The truck doesn't like hills pulling that trailer, and I don't have confidence in doing so. Therefore I'm looking at a diesel. Been looking since April.

I found a good deal on a 2005 F-250, king ranch. So, once again, I look at this forum, and others to try to make an informed decision on a 2005 diesel. I seem to hear just as much negative as postive on just diesels in general, which scares me. And I've about talked myself out of one.

I have to use this truck as a primary driver. i drive 20 miles to work, most of it highway, trips to the store are 6 miles or more. I haul the toy hauler about 8-10 times a year, with round trips ranging 200-800 miles.

I also read all sorts of maintenance issues, having to warm the engine up properly, and having to let it idle for X amount of minutes before shutting it down, etc.. Seems to me I have to baby such a tough truck. Or am I just mislead here ? I want a truck that I can treat like a gasser, and is just as dependable. Also, my current truck gets 15 MPG with my weekly driving, and i hear all sorts of MPG differences with a F-250, which I don't like to see.. ya know.. 10 MPG to as much as 17 around town.

Help this newbie guy out.. For my personal needs, is a 2005 F-250 diesel the way to go for my primary vehicle ?
It is definetely the way to go, especially for towing. You do have to pay more attention to maintenance than normal gassers but it isn't bad. As far as letting it idle to operating temp, there is some truth to that. You don't want to just start the truck and take off like a bat out of he!!. Diesels work off of heat, so normal operating temp. is where it runs the best. As far as letting it cool down before shutting if off, that really is based on the type of driving. If you are just driving home after work and taking it easy you can shut it off as soon as you pull in the driveway no problem. If you just towed your toy hauler 400 miles back home, you need to let it sit at an idle and cool down. This is really for the turbo. If you shut it off hot it can basically "cook" the oil that is in the turbo. Letting it run for 3-5 minutes will allow the oil to cool down which in turn cools down the turbo. Don't be afrad to buy one. I have had 2 diesels and will never go back to a gasser again.

Oh yeah...
Old 09-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Mod Newbie

I forgot. I am averaging 16 mpg and most of my driving is in town. I figure that by hand to. Don't trust the digital readouts in the trucks. Not all are accurate.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hey !. thanks for the reply and the welcome!

That cooling down of the turbo makes much more sense to me now. I am planning on going out tomorrow morning and look at the truck, and pray I'm not too upside down in my present truck
Old 09-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
hey !. thanks for the reply and the welcome!

That cooling down of the turbo makes much more sense to me now. I am planning on going out tomorrow morning and look at the truck, and pray I'm not too upside down in my present truck
I would say you could probably get a good deal. Dealers are having problems selling diesels due to fuel prices. You will pull that toy hauler and wonder if it is even back there.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yeah for sure the time to buy a diesel is right now. So jump on it. My current truck is my first diesel truck and I regret nothing about it. Hell I dont even own anything heavy enough for me to pull with my truck, but I wanted to get a real truck and that's why I got a diesel. Oh and as far as the regular maintenance and shut downs and start ups, that'll become second nature to you. You can also purchase alarms sort like what I have that give me the delayed auto remote start and also the manual turbo timer. If I've been running the truck rough I just hit a button before I get off my truck and the truck will stay on for about a minute after I turn the key off and lock it. Good luck with your purchase!!!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:32 AM

If you are worried about the mileage, and a dealer is selling the truck. See if they'll let you drive it for a day or two. Drive it like you would your current truck and see if the mileage is acceptable for you.

I just picked up an '06 Lariat this spring and love it. I also moved up from a F150.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM

I did the same thing, Since 04 I have had 2 f150s(06,07 5.4 supercrew) and two 04 f250 6.0s I bought the first 04 new in phx az and pulled my small toyhauler up the mountains to flagstff on weekends, I then had some warranty service issues, got mad and sold the truck, bought a v8jeep Comander, 2months later traded for a 06f150 5.4 lariat sc 2wd, better,but poor towing performance,moved to the great plains, traded for an 07 f150 5.4 4x4, towed my hauler to Flagstaff az, thought I had a defect in the trans, back to the dealer,2sparkplugs replaced, later drove over the rockies without a trailer, just 3 dirtbikes in bed, truck wouldn't run right, What good is a truck that won't tow or haul? sold it and bought a clean low milage 04 f250 cc fx4 lariat with a clean oasis report, I figured that I would just plan on fixing the Egr and head gaskets once and for all if they fail. My millage is mid 20s on diesel vs mid teens on gas in the f150 on the same 52 mile drive that I make once a week, on short trips I do not save as much, but overall my fuel savings cancel out my higher maintenance costs to drive the SD, The f150s were better as cars(smoother ride, easier to park,etc)but, if a truck doesn't excel at towing and hauling why not just drive a Prius?
Old 09-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeper View Post
but, if a truck doesn't excel at towing and hauling why not just drive a Prius?
i totally agree ! Thanks for the input !
Old 09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

by the way, i have the VIN # for the truck i'm looking at, where on the internet can i get an Oasis report ? I did a search and can't find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.