Is this a good deal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this a good deal

Hey guys im new to the site but im looking to buy my first psd. it will mainly be used for off roading and some very light towing a few times a year. I know these trucks are mainly for towing but i want something with more power then the slow 5.4 in the f150 thats why i decided to go psd. any way here is one im looking at what do you guys think? Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 05:32 PM
a truck

wow that thing is really going for cheap assuming there arent any major issues I would say go for it, just be sure to check if its been in an accident, any major repairs, maintence kept up, shape of the body, etc.

Oh and welcome to the org!
Old 08-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The prices trucks are going for just amaze me. You couldn't touch that truck a year ago for less than 18-20.

I'd get an Oasis report run on it and check the carfax. You want to make sure the truck isn't a problem one because with 118k, you could bleed money if it has any existing issues since there's no more engine warranty. You'll be able to tell from the service history if it's a good one or not.

Once you get the Oasis, post it here if you need a hand reading it. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
check the back of the motor see if there is oil and check the coolent and see if oil has mixed in with it
Old 08-31-2008, 04:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

this is going to sound dumb but im used to gas engines so i dont know if it will be different. what will the coolent look like if there is oil in it. thanks for the replies guys i appreciate the info cuz im a little worried about the milage but i know from reading on here a lot of you guys have way more miles on your trucks. also what are some simple tests i can do while test driving it to look for problems. thanks again and i cant wait to have my own psd.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:16 AM
Other vehicle is an F250

Good luck with the investigation and

Welcome to the org.! One thing is for sure, if you do buy it and it turns out to be a mistake, the guys on this site will be able to hwlp you fix all the problems! You do the financing of course!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:36 AM

Things to look over when buying used:

Look for signs of coolant degas bottle overflow (dry white residue on and around the degas bottle or no level in degas bottle).

Lots of idling can cause EGR problems. I look at the hours on the engine (if it has this monitored) and divide the miles by the hours (is it below 30? If so, may have had lots of idling).

Even without much extended idling EGR valves can plug quickly - maybe negotiate for*a new EGR valve. In fact, I would negotiate for them to pull the EGR valve to inspect it (have them show it to you when it is out and then you need to look into the intake).* Check for wetness (w/ rear end jacked up) and for excess soot. Wetness indicates an EGR cooler leak. If the valve is gunked up, have them replace the valve.* If the intake is real bad, you may push them to clean it as well.*

Look underneath for oil leaks - some trucks have had a lot of them

If you buy from a dealership, I would negotiate for them to install the latest flash of all 3 processors (PCM, FICM, ECM).

Negotiating for an extended warranty is always a good thing as well.

Try to find out about the routine maintenance:
Filter change intervals on time? What kind of oil (CI4+ or CJ4 - one of these is required)?
OEM filters? Look at them and see what kind they are. Aftermarket filters can cause MAJOR problems.
Find proof of Transmission being flushed/changed - it is recommended every 30,000 miles.
Any exhaust problems visible (i.e. lots of white or blue smoke)? White smoke may mean an EGR cooler leak.

Check for any FLUID leaks (as stated previously - LOOK SPECIFICALLY FOR OIL LEAKS - 6.0L are prone to many of these from many possible places!!)

CEL (Check Engine Light) on? Consider getting a code reader and check for DTC's. You can have active DTC's without a CEL.

The Electronic Shift on the Fly (ESOF) sometimes fails due to vacuum leaks. Be sure to check this out (several times in and out of 4WD and/or take front wheels off to inspect).

Check for excessive wheel bearing wear (looseness), sway bar (end link looseness),*or ball joint looseness.* Ball joints and sway bar end links tend to go out in the 70k-90k range. Jack one side up at a time and see if each wheel moves top to bottom only, if so, it is the ball joints. If it moves in all directions then probably wheel bearings.

Check the coolant - it should have the Motorcraft Gold Coolant - anything else and there may be problems.* Look in the "degas" bottle and inspect the fluid - it should be gold colored and there should be NO OIL visible (oil emulsified in water can show up as brown sludge).* As previously stated, the degas bottle should not have white residue around the sides of it (possible overheating issues).

Any evidence of a tuner (aftermarket air filter, gauges, etc)? Tuners may or may not be bad. Some tuners are MURDER on the transmission. Some dealerships will cause you a lot of problems w/ them - even if you bought it that way used.

Aftermarket air systems could be a problem.* Many of them (like K&N) do not filter as well and could cause issues.* Up to 500 hp, the stock air system is best!

Try to find out if the original owner ever ran it empty on fuel or have plugged filters (fuel pressure below 45 psig can damage injectors)?

Then the common stuff I'm sure you know:
Look at and smell the fluids.* Make sure fluids not burnt, not too thick or dirty.
Check the tires - should have over half the life left at this mileage - abnormal wear?
How do the brakes look?* Any pads need replacement?* Are the rear brakes excessively worn?
All electronics working? Especially the AC (repair can be expensive)?
Dents? Air bag been replaced, etc.
See if he has any repair or maintenance records.
Take off the price for windshield dings, paint chipped, torn upholstery, etc.
Does the truck look too clean?* Does it look like the oil was just changed? May be hiding something
Any extras - tool boxes, bumpers, etc.?
Drive it - does it hesitate, stutter, or surge? Does it blow white or black smoke? When driving, brake fairly hard - note any pulls, pops, clunks, rattles, etc. How does it accelerate? You should romp on it pretty good. Drive in reverse and then back and forth - listen for clunks.

Add or subtract value based on condition, high miles, and presence of extras.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well the truck above was a bust. within the first 5 min i knew i wasnt going to buy it. the interior was falling apart and it was leaking from the engine trans and diffs. i still test drove it just for the he!! of it. as soon as i pulled off the lot (with out the sales men lol he just let me take it by myself) i thought the thing was going to die. this was the first psd i have driven but it felt like a dog. it hesetated and then surged and took forever to go anywhere. that and it had a 6inch or so dead spot in the steering. i had to fight to keep it going straight. then to make it worse i got pulled over because the truck was missing its side mirrors and had no plates. so after some explaining to the officer i was let go. so needles to say it was a waste of time. but i have another truck lined up today so hopefully it gos better.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:02 PM
KVFD

Send a message via MSN to redstroker_2002
Thats cheap!! I would run a oasis report on it!
Old 09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

Thats too bad about the truck. Just keep your eye out and you'll find the right truck for you. The longer I looked the better the results, don't be in a hurry to get a new ride.

Some PSD are slugish during early operation and have more of a turbo lag than Chevy, or Dodge so don't get down and out on the PSD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.