Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2003 6L turbo

2K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  bigd4x4 
#1 ·
How do i tell if my turbo is still working or not? My truck does not smoke but it is low on power and I don't think there is any turbo whine, after about 2000 rpm there is a loud whooshing sound. It is low on power though, but not horrible it will still cruise at 70 mph no prob.

#4 ·
+1. This would be my first move. Make sure that everything from the intake back is connected correctly. Also check all the boots on the IC. I blew a boot off of mine and had the same problems you are describing.:thumb:

#6 ·
You could just send me your turbo and pedistal and I'll swap you mine... Then you'd know for sure....:hehe:

#7 ·
#9 ·
im sure thats your problem. like i said, mine did the same thing on the underside. those boots are like $60 tho i think

#16 ·
Well the majority of it is the sound. They just sound really good.

But me personally when I made the switch dropped roughly 100 on my EGTs while cruising and under acceleration. I also picked up 4lbs of boost, but that may have been because I add the Intercooler and lost about 7lbs.

They also flow more air. I know that DKR is running 190cc injectors with his 03 turbo and hasn't had any problems that I know about.

#17 ·
I have an '03 turbo and pedestal on the way. Looking to swap it out when I do the EGR delete. Anybody know what Beans or Spartan is charging for rebuilds?

#18 ·
I'm not sure. But you could probably email them directly and get a faster more accurate response.

It also might be a better idea to go ahead and do a small set of injectors to maximize the ability to mix more fuel in with that added air the modded turbo is going to be feeding your motor. I would go no more than a set of 190cc from Casserly. Anything over than and your everyday driveability suffers greatly. And many believe that 190cc are pretty much maxing out the HPOP on the 6.0s when they are being used in race or competition trucks.

So yea lol if you have the extra coin a set of injectors will really work well with that combination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.