Vibration - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Vibration

OK well I took my truck to the best dealer around here yesterday to have the vibration looked at and to give the truck a run around to make sure everythings ok. I got a call today and they tell me the reason for my vibration is the all terrain mickey thompson tires. I think they are wrong for my own experiences with the truck. So I told them to balance them to make sure. Also they tell me that I have 3 injectors going out and possibly a bad turbo b/c they got a turbo code.

They want 75 bux to balance the tires, and 1500 bux to change the 3 injectors. Then after they put the new injectors in they will check and see if the turbo is still bad. I dont even want to know that price. So far I have almost 500 in it just to see what was wrong with it. And the main reason I took it up there isnt fixed. This sucks, If they cant fix the vibration Im might just trade it in.

Last edited by Lethal03PS; 08-29-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethal03PS View Post
OK well I took my truck to the best dealer around here yesterday to have the vibration looked at and to give the truck a run around to make sure everythings ok. I got a call today and they tell me the reason for my vibration is the all terrain mickey thompson a/t tires. I think they are wrong for my own experiences with the truck. So I told them to balance them to make sure. Also they tell me that I have 3 injectors going out and possibly a bad turbo b/c they got a turbo code.

They want 75 bux to balance the tires, and 1500 bux to change the 3 injectors. Then after they put the new injectors in they will check and see if the turbo is still bad. I dont even want to know that price. So far I have almost 500 in it just to see what was wrong with it. And the main reason I took it up there isnt fixed. This sucks, If they cant fix the vibration Im might just trade it in.
Hey, hold on here. If she has bad injectors that can cause your vibration. You need to find another repair shop, sounds to me like they want to give you a fleecing. U think u also have turbo problems? Why don't you take er into the local international dealer before you start whippin out your credit card. Tires can cause a vibration i suppose
Old 08-29-2008, 07:33 AM

Yeah im deffinatly not going to pay that much for the 3 injectors. Ill do it myself when I find out which ones they are. Where is the cheapest place to get a set of injectors. Are they very hard to replace?
Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 AM

There is a TSB for vibration from the rear at 40-50mph. I just had it done. My local dealer tried selling me 4 new tires... like I didn't see that one coming. I had to give them the TSB#!!! Sounds like you need a different shop. What kind of a vibration is it? front & rear? speed(s)? 99% sure it's not your tires themselves. and if you have them balanced make sure they use a Hunter 9700 Force balancer; any other balancer is pre-historic now. No point paying 2008 dollars for a balance job from 1974. please tell us more about the vibtration... we'll get it fixed. I hate vibrations.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:34 PM

OK I just got back from the dealer and heres the scoop. I have 3 injectors starting to fail. The tech said if it was him he would just deal with it for now cause they are fine when the truck warms up. I also have a code (P22263) Some turbo performance problem. He said the vibration is the tires and so I told him to go ahead balance them. And so he did on the Hunter GSP9700 Road Force machine and he said they had all been out but were all balanced perfectly. He also said they were about 20 psi short so he put in 60psi all together. So hes pretty confident it was the wheels and tires out of balance making the vibration so when i left with the truck cause I have to use it this weekend I jumped on the interstate to go home and guess what. The vibration is still there. Its shanking so bad it feels like my door is about to fall off! So I call the dealer on my way home and tell them its still shaking and they said they didnt know what else to go over, but to bring it back tuesday and they will try again.

OK now I will try and describe this vibration the best I can to you all so you maybe you can help. Well I bought the truck in November of 07 in Michigan and drove it all the way back home to WV, and thats when I first noticed it. Instead of going back to the dealer I thought I would just go home and balance the tires and it would be good as new. Boy was I wrong. I balanced the first set of tires and they balance good. So once that was done I took it out on the highway and guess what vibration is still there. So I basically just dealt with the vibration for a while b/c I barely drove it. So here come spring and I get a new set of wheels and tires balanced perfectly, and hoped the vibration would go away. Nope it didnt. Same exact speed and same vibration. So I sold those wheels and tires and got a set of 20's and new tires they balance good and vibration is still there. So I take the truck to my local alignment shop and they tell me its the wheels and tires and they dont have a good enough machine to balance them. Even after I told them this is my 3rd set of tires with the same vibration they still think thats what it is. STUPID! So I prepared to spend some big bucks to get this fixed so i just take it to ford and what to they call and tell me That its the damn tires. They are not mud tires. They cant be the wheels and tires because they balance perfectly.

My truck shakes so bad it feels like my doors are going to fall off sometimes.
To descibe the vibration....I feel it all in the body of the truck. My Seats, door panels shake, mirrors shake so bad I cant see out of them. I really only used to shake around 70mph. I feel like its might be getting worse. It shakes around 65mph now and at 70 to 75 it feels like its going to fall apart and will shake all the way to 100mph. The steering wheel however is smooth. When I throw it in neutral down a hill it still shakes. Whats next...Replaced the whole rear end of the truck?

Not only that I work with a bunch of GM and Dodge guys and we carpool 50 miles to work during the week and their lifted trucks ride nice and mine rides like crap. Thats all I hear about on the way to work when they ride with me. They call my truck the rattle trap.

Last edited by Lethal03PS; 08-29-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:52 PM

WOW!!!!!!!

It sounds like something is out of balance is ther any play or a bend in drive shaft. the drive shaft spins so fast any play or warpage could cause severe vibes. May be a locked UV. I cant see injectors causing that much of a vibe problem specialy if tech said ther not that bad course he did say tires. It is somthing in drive train or trans
Old 08-29-2008, 03:08 PM

Tranny shifts fine, I have seen the driveshaft spin on the lift and it seems ok.
No play in the driveshaft. U joints are pretty good...... I think if it was something bent pretty bad it would shake at lower speed to. It rides ok til i hit the higher speeds.

Last edited by Lethal03PS; 08-29-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:04 PM

It's not injectors. Lets clear that up. and for some reason everyone loves telling us it's F'n tires. Why can't these techs do their dang job and diagnose "stuff" right. Ok, it's not injectors. If I were you:

1- pull rear driveshaft out and inspect U joints and shafts for damage and PHASING. At this point check the Xfercase output for play. Also check center carrier bearing for tears, and wear/play. At this point also check Xfercase/transmission Mount & motor mounts for tears. Check pinion for play.

2- check driveline angles with a magnetic angle finder and crunch #'s.

3- Jack rear of truck up and inspect for bearing play and lateral play.

4- Get a radial runout measurement on each rear wheel in 2 directions. radialy and laterally.

(notice how none of this involves spending $$$, wonder why shops don't do it!!)

5- Now spend some money.. take the shaft out and have a driveline place spin balance it.

6- Physically watch a good tech force balance your tires and get the radial force measurement 15 pounds, 25 pounds etc.

Don't give up. You have a vibe. It has to come from somewhere. It's pure science, you just have to find it. All dealers want to do is sell tires. I think one of the above will catch it.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 PM

I had a friend measure the driveline angle and it was off a half a degree from being a strait angle. Could that be it.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Emergency Services

Vibration

Couple more possibilities..

Do any of your tires have any odd wear patterns. That might give us a place to look.

You should check the track bar on the front end and make sure it isn't worn out or loose. This can cause the death wobble and create one hell of a shake.

Maybe it's the TIRES!!!......... Just Kidding man, I think that is the catch all diagnosis for the retards at the Dealerships.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.