starting in cold weather... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to etalian
starting in cold weather...

is there anything i need to know about starting up a diesel in cold weather...other than letting the glow plug fully heat up thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 PM

If you have a block heater plug it in. it will help 100%
Old 11-12-2006, 01:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to 99Smokin73Stroker Send a message via Yahoo to 99Smokin73Stroker
Other than waiting for the wait to start light to go out as you normally would you'll be fine. Plugging it in does help tremendously though. It'll turn over a lot easier and warm up a lot quicker. The electricity might cost 10-15 cents or so overnight.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Smokin73Stroker View Post
Other than waiting for the wait to start light to go out as you normally would you'll be fine. Plugging it in does help tremendously though. It'll turn over a lot easier and warm up a lot quicker. The electricity might cost 10-15 cents or so overnight.
I agree with using the block heater, but it may cost more than 10 to 15 cents per night. I may be wrong but I think those heaters are 1000 or more watts. That is 1kw per hour or $0.15 or more per hour. Granted after an hour or two it will reach full temp and the heater will cycle on and off, but in extreme cold it could cost as much as $1 or more per night.

I would suggest a timer on the power cord set to turn the block heater on 2 hours before you intend to start the engine. This way you get the convenience of a warm engine without the sacrifice of either leaving it plugged in all night or getting up early to plug it in.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 720Deere View Post
I agree with using the block heater, but it may cost more than 10 to 15 cents per night. I may be wrong but I think those heaters are 1000 or more watts. That is 1kw per hour or $0.15 or more per hour. Granted after an hour or two it will reach full temp and the heater will cycle on and off, but in extreme cold it could cost as much as $1 or more per night.

I would suggest a timer on the power cord set to turn the block heater on 2 hours before you intend to start the engine. This way you get the convenience of a warm engine without the sacrifice of either leaving it plugged in all night or getting up early to plug it in.
I plug my truck up right below the meter on my shop, the dial is usually stationary when I plug the heater in, it takes off like a bat outta H . Next time I plug it in I'm gonna write down beginning and ending readings and see how many kw the thing uses............meant to do it last year
Old 11-12-2006, 02:11 PM

well i live in houston, texas so i will never start any colder than 30 degrees. and it rarely ever gets that low... so if i just wait for the pig's tail to go out i should be fine right? thanks
Old 11-12-2006, 02:31 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by etalian View Post
well i live in houston, texas so i will never start any colder than 30 degrees. and it rarely ever gets that low... so if i just wait for the pig's tail to go out i should be fine right? thanks
Yeah, if it never gets colder than 30 then a block heater isn't needed really.
I have started mine without the luxury of a plug in (a motel in Iowa) and it was -4 temps with a 30 mph wind and i cycled the glow pluds twice for 45 seconds each cycle and it fired right up. The heater didn't get warm for awhile but i had no problem starting it.
When that light goes out on the dash though, the glowplugs are STILL heating so you can wait longer than the light if it's pretty cold and that will help.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHenry View Post
Yeah, if it never gets colder than 30 then a block heater isn't needed really.
I have started mine without the luxury of a plug in (a motel in Iowa) and it was -4 temps with a 30 mph wind and i cycled the glow pluds twice for 45 seconds each cycle and it fired right up. The heater didn't get warm for awhile but i had no problem starting it.
When that light goes out on the dash though, the glowplugs are STILL heating so you can wait longer than the light if it's pretty cold and that will help.
ok. thats what i was wondering but didnt know if you needed to do anything different...thanks
Old 12-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cold in northern IL

Currently it has risen to about 3 degrees here in Northern IL. It got down to -2 last night. I couldn't get my block heater to work last night since the gfi on the garage outlet kept tripping. (I park my truck outside next to the garage) Anyways I figured out their must have been a little moisture in the cord end because after having my extension cord sit inside overnight it worked fine on the block heater this morning. I didn't have another cord to try last night.

I've been reading on here and everyone mentions the 3 hours for the block heater duty cycle. Where does that number come from? Just curious since the manual doesn't mention that. This is my first winter with a diesel truck and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. It started this morning but boy did it make some noise! Did not sound happy but let it run for 10 or 15 minutes and just took it easy when I started driving. Seemed to warm up in a decent amount of time considering how cold it was.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I don't know nuttin....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06F250PSD View Post
Currently it has risen to about 3 degrees here in Northern IL. It got down to -2 last night. I couldn't get my block heater to work last night since the gfi on the garage outlet kept tripping. (I park my truck outside next to the garage) Anyways I figured out their must have been a little moisture in the cord end because after having my extension cord sit inside overnight it worked fine on the block heater this morning. I didn't have another cord to try last night.

I've been reading on here and everyone mentions the 3 hours for the block heater duty cycle. Where does that number come from? Just curious since the manual doesn't mention that. This is my first winter with a diesel truck and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about it. It started this morning but boy did it make some noise! Did not sound happy but let it run for 10 or 15 minutes and just took it easy when I started driving. Seemed to warm up in a decent amount of time considering how cold it was.
Theres no magic number to using the block heater but its been my experience that it needs at least 3 hours operation (in my climate) to be of substantial help to warming the block. If i was in Iowa, i would plug it in at night and leave it all night but if you wanted to use a timmer to turn it on before you leave for work, 4-5 hours would likely be better than 3 hours as cold as you guys get up there.
My 3 hours is based on the truck being parked inside the shop which is always above 30 degrees inside. When i start it, my heater already feels a little warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.