Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rustproof undercarriage???

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  nvrdun 
#1 ·
So for anybody that has the privelege of living in an area where it is not nice all year round... Has anybody found a product or good place to have the undercarriage of your truck painted and or rustproofed?? With an 8" lift you can see a lot of my frame and suspension, and after one Minnesota winter of course everything is starting to rust and turn that beautiful brown color... So I was trying to find a place close to MN that would paint the frame and suspension of my truck.. Just wondering if anybody else had done this and if it worked?? How much I am looking to spend?? Any input would be appreciated...thanks guys..

#3 ·
Texaco makes a rust proofing compound called "Compound L". It's a cosmolene based grease that can be thinned with thinner and sprayed through a hand sprayer. I live here in Michigan and sprayed the underside of my 97 F150 way back when and would touch it up like every spring. No rust anywhere when I sold it last year! The stuff clings to everything sealing out the air and moisture which equals no corrosion........
ChevronTexaco Compound L Rust Proof

#6 ·
The trouble that ive noticed is if ya dont do it when it is new your still going to have issues. Ive seen some undercoatings start to peel because there was rust underneath it. Maybe it was just a poor applicators, or poor materials, but i think in or winter states theres not much you can do unless you get it done when its new.

#7 ·
I talked to a guy at a body shop and he told me that por 15 was the way to go also... Of course they don't do it there because of all the prep time, but he said that stuff will stick to ANYTHING... He said to be careful and wear the biggest gloves you can find. I am just worried about getting it over nuts or bolts that may need to be taken off later... Is this stuff thin enough that you can go right over nuts and bolts or do you need to tape that stuff off????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.