tire pressure & wear pattern (OEM 20's) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 10:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tire pressure & wear pattern (OEM 20's)

Finally got around to doing a wear pattern on the Factory 275/65R20E GY ATS on the OEM 20" wheels. Door jamb says 65psi cold all around. I tried that and got a pretty decent pattern. But I tried 70 up front and kept the rear at 65... much better I think. pattern looked real good. But I wouldn't go over 70 though. Thought I'd share my findings. 70/65 for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2008, 10:12 AM
Banned

nice job...it's always good to pass on good info

that's why I made this thread.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...nna-learn.html
Old 08-25-2008, 06:11 AM

Yeah you compiled some good info. Riding empty.. you could easily drop the rears down to 60 and still have a good pattern. But up front I wouldn't want to go lower than 65, and no more than 70. so the factory placard of 65 all around is pretty good if you don't want to think about it. But in the name of saving $4.35/gal fuel, I'll be riding 70/65. Every bit helps... especially when it's a free mod.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBakerFX4 View Post
Finally got around to doing a wear pattern on the Factory 275/65R20E GY ATS on the OEM 20" wheels. Door jamb says 65psi cold all around. I tried that and got a pretty decent pattern. But I tried 70 up front and kept the rear at 65... much better I think. pattern looked real good. But I wouldn't go over 70 though. Thought I'd share my findings. 70/65 for me
I learned years ago you get the most miles out of your tires if they are keft at the max inflation and that is what i do. I do run maybe 5psi less in the rears.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM

max cold PSI on the OEM ATS's is 80psi. I'm going by wear pattern for typical driving load. 70/65 does it for me. I guess I could run 80 all around but that would wear the center of the tire faster...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
max cold PSI on the OEM ATS's is 80psi. I'm going by wear pattern for typical driving load. 70/65 does it for me. I guess I could run 80 all around but that would wear the center of the tire faster...
if you run on straight roads and don't turn often it may. What i have found is that max inflation saves the edges from wearing out first on the curves giving a longer life to your tire. Remember, its the lugs on the edge that give you the traction in the dirt, mud so you want to keep them as sharp as possible. My last set of Bf's had 90,000 when i replaced them. That was five tires.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:13 AM

wow. 90k. Yeah I can see what you mean by turns wearing the edges. But on our suzuki cracker box it says 30 psi cold, and I've been running them at 33 cold for the past 20k. the centers are worn a lot worse then the edges. Flat out noticeable. so I'll give the 70/65 a try for a few thousand miles and go from there.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
wow. 90k. Yeah I can see what you mean by turns wearing the edges. But on our suzuki cracker box it says 30 psi cold, and I've been running them at 33 cold for the past 20k. the centers are worn a lot worse then the edges. Flat out noticeable. so I'll give the 70/65 a try for a few thousand miles and go from there.
I always inflate to the max presure on the sidewall of the tire and adjust the presure often. If a front moves in the presure in your tires will change and can cause you to be way over or under inflated. I also spend time at diferent altitudes which also dramatically affects tire presure. The key to tire life is correct tire presure which means frequent tire presure checks. I havenever owned a sukini but lots of jeeps and i have had the problem you described but it was caused because i failed to check the presure often enough and make adjustments.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:31 PM

I actually found that gauge was reading low... so when it was reading 33, I probly had about 34 or 35 in there. Hence the 4-5 over the 30 placard and the center worn tires. a bit to much lol. and I never did a wear pattern on that lil car either. I check the air in our tires 1x/week religiously. And yes I've noticed the weahter fronts affect it. Now I own about 6 different high end gauges from a morroso to a pencil. OH well... plenty of gauges to go around.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 08-25-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:23 AM

Quote:
I actually found that gauge was reading low... so when it was reading 33, I probly had about 34 or 35 in there. Hence the 4-5 over the 30 placard and the center worn tires. a bit to much lol. and I never did a wear pattern on that lil car either. I check the air in our tires 1x/week religiously. And yes I've noticed the weahter fronts affect it. Now I own about 6 different high end gauges from a morroso to a pencil. OH well... plenty of gauges to go around.
yeah, made me laugh cause i have done that. Hard to find good gauges anymore. Last one i bought was a snapon. I didn't think of it earlier but part of my problem in the old days was i trusted gas station presure gauges. guess i wasn't to bright then.....hummm....wonder if i'm any better now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.