Give your professional input! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Give your professional input!

Ok! I am totally new to this diesel thing and dont know a whole lot about what type of mods I might need. All I want is a dependable truck that is safe for me and my family to travel in. I purchased the truck to tow my camper 30ft 5700 lbs. I dont want to be broken down on the side of the road with my famly. I ant looking for a drag truck, just a good sound truck. It is sound now I guess but I worry. The truck is an 2005 F350 6.0 supercab FX4 4X4 122,000 miles. Oasis shows 3 recalls no major engine work, carfax is good and I talked with the man that use to own it, he said it never give him the frist bit of trouble. He used it for his land scape business pulled a goose neck with bob cat ever now and then. Checked with dealer where it was traded had #6 injector and EGR replaced in May of ths year. This is all the homework I could come up with. So feel free to blast me with any and all you can. Tell me the things I need to do in order of most important to least important. Exhaust, Tuner, EGR delete, etc. etc. There is so much stuff dont know where to start????? Thanks A Bunch!!!! Any and all input will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

If you want a good sound truck, the best thing you should do is get a turbo back delted the CAT and get a full flow muffler, all name brands are just about the same just make sure it is mardrlin bent. sorry I can't spell. Leave you stock intake where it is, everyone here will tell you unless you want big power the stock will flow just perfectly fine and filters good, its olny down fall is its hard to change and has a price tag. You should go with a "SCT" tuner with custome tunes best one on the market for the 6.0. Everyone seems to like either DJ's tunes or Innovated. Some gauges wouldn't hurt, but if you don't plan on driving it like you stool it not a big worry.

EGR delete, head studs are always nice if you have those problems. With big boost your heads are gonna want to come off. And getting rid of the EGR system will prevent flash boiling your collant and many other problems that could happen on a tuned or stock truck.

I'm suprised Raul for Stealth Auto wasn't the first to post. He is in our sponsors list and can help with your decision. I'm pretty sure there will be a couple other members that would glady help with your questions.

Gotta love the ORG.

Last edited by POWERED SPARKLESS; 08-22-2008 at 04:37 AM. Reason: fingers don't move fast enough
Old 08-22-2008, 04:07 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
Tyler you have spoken well. I think you have just about covered everything. Gauges are important, especially if you are gonna tow. You will want to watch your EGTs.

Oh, btw, WELCOME TO THE ORG!
Old 08-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Have you bought this truck? If not get a 7.3 ..6.0's are just a time bomb.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:35 AM
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD

jlindsay said "Give your professional input!" Not a rant and rave
Old 08-22-2008, 07:41 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERED SPARKLESS View Post
jlindsay said "Give your professional input!" Not a rant and rave
Old 08-22-2008, 07:46 AM
Big Daddy!

I did the Zoodad on my truck, and I also got a FarmBoys Diesel 4" turbo back, and I went with a custom tuned SCT. Granny is right, get your gauges as one of the FIRST things. Let the tuner be the last. The Zoodad is a FREE mod, do it first, you won't notice anything, unless you have the guages already, then you will notice cooler EGT's. The Stock Air Cooler with the Zoodad mod is good for at least 500hp as well as the stock air filter, but I think others here use a different cleaner that is as good, but cheaper, you will have to ask around. This should give you what you are looking for, a reliable rig with good enonomy and a little performance. Be caustioned though that depending on the individual rig, these performance mods COULD harm your truck, so just like the stock market, do not risk more than you are willing to lose!

Good luck man ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryt View Post
Have you bought this truck? If not get a 7.3 ..6.0's are just a time bomb.
I thought that disparaging between the different models of PSD's was clearly discussed, and discouraged!!! What did you hope to accompolish by this? If the guy already bought the truck in question then you just insulted his rig! Not really the way to show solidarity amongst Powerstrokers, especially the newer ones now is it?

All Powerstroke, and all motors have thier problems! This goes on a case by case basis, not based on the engine model.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:58 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
I thought that disparaging between the different models of PSD's was clearly discussed, and discouraged!!! What did you hope to accompolish by this? If the guy already bought the truck in question then you just insulted his rig! Not really the way to show solidarity amongst Powerstrokers, especially the newer ones now is it?

All Powerstroke, and all motors have thier problems! This goes on a case by case basis, not based on the engine model.
Nicely put Bob. I, like many other 6.0 owners love my truck and engine.

Gauges and exhaust would be at the top of my list for any diesel, the SCT is also a nice thing to have , and they are for the most part problem free (usually can be fixed with a phone call and an email), unlike the other big tuner names out there. They are fully customizable for most anything you want/need, and can be changed if need be.

Oh yeah, welcome to the good side
Old 08-23-2008, 08:00 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You guys are sure touchy..he asked for a professional opinion and I gave it. Your entitled to yours as am I. FYI I have a 6.0 also.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:07 AM

If you want reliability I would just suggest some exhaust and gauges.

Farmboys diesel has a great exhaust kit for EXTREMELY cheap i think less than 300$.
As far as gauges i would get 3 Transmission Temp, EGT Temp, and Boost.

If you would like a tuner/programmer: SCT is the best for a 6.0(with custom tunes from Innovative Diesel or DJs).
SCT Makes a tuner called the Livewire it has the gauges built in w/ a digital screen. It can monitor Boost and Transtemp and EGT's(with a thermocouple(thermometer))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.