Rethinking the 200K mile warranty. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rethinking the 200K mile warranty.

My truck is currently at the shop. It has 99K on it and the 5 years is up Aug 22nd. I do not have the 200K mile warranty on it but I am thinking about it again. The truck is currently not my daily driver. I have a 95 model that I use as a work truck but I am rigging the 03 up as soon as I get it back from the dealer to be my new work truck. It has been an awesome truck but it is going to go from 8K miles in the last year to probably ~50K each year.

The truck went to the dealer for a couple small repairs. It developed another oil leak around the dust shield and I figured the ICP sensor had started leaking again. About 4 months ago I found it was low on coolant. I added some and a couple days later the degas bottle was empty. Filled it again and it has not gotten low again. Then every once in a while it seemed sluggish and I thought maybe the EGR could use a cleaning. So I told them about that also.

Well I just got a call back from my service writer and she said that it was getting a new "crank seal" for the oil leak. A new EGR valve for the intermittent sluggishness. And will be getting a EGR cooler for the water drop. I was kinda hoping it would have been head gaskets because she said if it was that they would put the studs in for me.

I would hate to have to pay the bill for these repairs. I am wondering if the 200K mile warranty will pay for itself. I know it will only add 2 years to my truck but I will probably be putting on about 50K a year so that would match up. What do yall think. It is currently completely stock and may stay that way.What do yall think about the money spent on the warranty? Thanks JJ

Last edited by Hardline; 08-18-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2008, 06:06 PM

How much is it?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Jon

Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
My truck is currently at the shop. It has 99K on it and the 5 years is up Aug 22nd. I do not have the 200K mile warranty on it but I am thinking about it again. The truck is currently not my daily driver. I have a 95 model that I use as a work truck but I am rigging the 03 up as soon as I get it back from the dealer to be my new work truck. It has been an awesome truck but it is going to go from 8K miles in the last year to probably ~50K each year.

The truck went to the dealer for a couple small repairs. It developed another oil leak around the dust shield and I figured the ICP sensor had started leaking again. About 4 months ago I found it was low on coolant. I added some and a couple days later the degas bottle was empty. Filled it again and it has not gotten low again. Then every once in a while it seemed sluggish and I thought maybe the EGR could use a cleaning. So I told them about that also.

Well I just got a call back from my service writer and she said that it was getting a new "crank seal" for the oil leak. A new EGR valve for the intermittent sluggishness. And will be getting a EGR cooler for the water drop. I was kinda hoping it would have been head gaskets because she said if it was that they would put the studs in for me.

I would hate to have to pay the bill for these repairs. I am wondering if the 200K mile warranty will pay for itself. I know it will only add 2 years to my truck but I will probably be putting on about 50K a year so that would match up. What do yall think. It is currently completely stock and may stay that way.What do yall think about the money spent on the warranty? Thanks JJ
Lets look at it this way. Even if you pay top dollar for the warrenty which varies by dealer for some reason the highest i've seen is $2200. If the Hpop takes a dump and in turn wipes your ipr like it usually does theres $2000 out of pocket. If your head gaskets blow and your heads are warped like they usually do theres $4000-$6000 depending where you are. I say its cheap ins to get it.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Lets look at it this way. Even if you pay top dollar for the warrenty which varies by dealer for some reason the highest i've seen is $2200. If the Hpop takes a dump and in turn wipes your ipr like it usually does theres $2000 out of pocket. If your head gaskets blow and your heads are warped like they usually do theres $4000-$6000 depending where you are. I say its cheap ins to get it.
There is a dealer in my area that is doing them for $1370. I was thinking about calling them tomorrow.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Jon

Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
There is a dealer in my area that is doing them for $1370. I was thinking about calling them tomorrow.
I'd get it in a heartbeat.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to SteveKran Send a message via Yahoo to SteveKran
Sounds like cheap peace of mind to me
Old 08-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Well I picked it up today. I ended up getting the nearly full treatment. After doing the work they originaly talked to me about they decided to go ahead and change the oil cooler while they were in there. After they got it all buttoned back up they said it was still not acting like it was supposed to and that with the EGR cooler leaking had the EGR coked up pretty bad and also had the turbo stuck. So I got a remaned turbo while it was in along with everything else. Service writer showed me the warranty papers they were filing and it came to right at 4K She said it probably would have been 4500 retail. I have a couple dealers supposed to call me back for the extended warranty today.

After I left I had about a 40 mile trip to drop the truck off at the upfitters for the new utility bed being installed and I reset the over head fuel mileage to see if it was getting any better or worse with the new parts. It has always been within .2 from actual hand calculations. It read 21.2 going 60-65 all freeway by the time I got over there. Gosh I hope that is actually any where close. All I could do before dropping it off for the repairs was 18.7 .
Old 08-21-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I agree BUT the one I looked into and almost bought covered the Heads, But not the head gaskets So I am under the impression they would use that if the gaskets blew to get out of resurfacing the heads or replacing them. I just have never trusted aftermarket ESC company's. If I were able to purchase one DIRECTLY FROM FORD(Not sub ed out) I would be interested.

Good luck man, ESC are insurance, That's it.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Jon

thats funny

Because the ones ive delt with were thru ford and infact covered gaskets. I did head gaskets on one with 120000 miles and they covered it. Its not an aftermarket wrnty so i dont know what u were looking at.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanH View Post
I agree BUT the one I looked into and almost bought covered the Heads, But not the head gaskets So I am under the impression they would use that if the gaskets blew to get out of resurfacing the heads or replacing them. I just have never trusted aftermarket ESC company's. If I were able to purchase one DIRECTLY FROM FORD(Not sub ed out) I would be interested.

Good luck man, ESC are insurance, That's it.
Hey Bryan,
Ford offers a 200k powertrain extension direct from Ford. Check with your local dealers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.