Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 reliability

12K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Americanricer87 
#1 ·
I'm lookin at buyin an 06 ford f350 with the 6.0 in it. I am trying to compare the common rail 5.9 cummins to the 6.0 stroker. In terms of interior there is no comparision to the ford. But how are the 6.0's? i hear so many bad things i'm not sure i'd wanna buy one. What are the most common issues with the 6.0?

#2 ·
I'd say the most common problems are EGR cooler and oil cooler related problems with headgasket failure a distant second. If you keep the truck stock, you're very unlikely to run into headgasket problems.

My truck has almost 60k on it, with the last 23k running tunes and driving hard, and the only problem I've had is the turbo was coked up, noisy, and sticking. I don't think the previous owner ever ran it hard enough to burn the crap out of it. Since it was cleaned, I haven't had any other problems. You can fix the EGR problems by bypassing it, something I still need to do myself.

I wouldn't be scared of the 6.0, especially an 06. The Cummins is a great motor, but the trucks just suck.

#6 ·
Are you running tunes with no studs on a 6.0? 23K... I just might get my tunes and when the head goes get studs then?

#3 ·
My 6.0

All I have to go by is the way that mine runs, I am retired and like pulling our 16000 + fifth wheel and it does a good job of that.
Like Tech said the EGR sucks on the 6.0 and has to be cleaned ever now and then.
I still run my truck stock, with a 4in ex.and 5 in tip.:icon_ford: You will want gages for it the first thing.:woot:

#5 ·
The 05s are pretty much identical to 06s, so you're fine with either. You can get an 05 with a lot less mileage than that for about the same asking price, though. One of the guys here just bought an 05 with around 50k on it for 18 something. It looks like you're looking for a dually. That will help you even more since the SRW trucks seem to be worth a little more now, probably due to their taller rear end and resulting better mileage.

#7 ·
Yeah, no studs. I'll get them at some point, but I don't have any puking and no signs of headgasket issues. When I get signs, I'll do studs. Most of the time I run an eco or street tune, but the last few months I've been running strictly looney. I got a car to save fuel, so since I only drive my truck a couple days a week now, I figure I might as well be able to play with it. :)

#9 ·
alright so i should be able to make alot lower offer on the truck. I really would like a king ranch but not alot of them available in my area, so lariet is what id be just fine settling on

#10 ·
I test drove the truck. Wow was i impressed. it had a few scratches on the bed side and a small ding in the passenger door on the bottom in the two tone. Only question i have is about the auto's. when it shifts into third while it's cold it feels like it slams into gear. Is it supposed to be that way? Idk if it was the way i was driven it cause i let off then got back into it a little. (so used to manuals) Do you guys think it would be a good idea to test drive a different one and compare the way they drive or is it normal to shift hard into the next gear?

#11 ·
Is it possible it could have a programmer on it? It definitely shouldn't be shifting hard stock this time of year. Now, if it has something like Innovative Xtreme Race or DJ's Looney on it, the shifts can feel hard. Is this the truck with like 140k on it? If so, it could just be time for a rebuild.

I would be a little cautious on that one. A tranny rebuild on a 5R110 can run into a few thousand bucks. Then again, if you can get the truck cheap enough, then I'd say go for it and just get a rebuild when it gets bad enough. The engine has tons of life left if it has been taken care of. I don't think I'd pay more than 14-15k for that particular truck.

#12 ·
I'm going to see if they'd take 18 out the door. Nada says they are worth like 22k with the options. But it's got some scratches and they did say they wanted it gone. It's also got brand new tires on it along with brakes. Once the truck warmed up it shifted real smooth. Like i said it could have just been me. I haven't messed with any 6.0s before. As long as the motors are safe i think i'll be alright. Who sells a built tranny and convetor for the ford trucks?

#13 ·
I have an 05 6.0 with 175,000 miles. I purchased it new. There have been no mods other than a cold air kit. The only issues I have had is the EGR (un hooked 70,000 miles ago) no problems with hesitation since. The one warrenty claim was for the oil pump feeding the injectors. My buddy has a 05 Dodge 3500 with a Cummins. He has had every sensor replaced, every u-joint and other warrenty issues. His truck has 60,000 miles. I am not bashing his truck or Cummins but, if mine burnt to the ground tomorrow I would buy another 6.0 in a second. Just my :twocents:

#15 ·
^^^^ Good info, and hazmat thanks for the advice. I took a really good friend to look at the truck and let him drive it and he thought it shifted great, "fast, smooth" like it should, aparently it doen't shift "hard" like i said, its just normal. If i pick it up, i'll wash it and post pictures of her. thanks for your help guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.