6.0 reliability - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 reliability

I'm lookin at buyin an 06 ford f350 with the 6.0 in it. I am trying to compare the common rail 5.9 cummins to the 6.0 stroker. In terms of interior there is no comparision to the ford. But how are the 6.0's? i hear so many bad things i'm not sure i'd wanna buy one. What are the most common issues with the 6.0?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 10:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd say the most common problems are EGR cooler and oil cooler related problems with headgasket failure a distant second. If you keep the truck stock, you're very unlikely to run into headgasket problems.

My truck has almost 60k on it, with the last 23k running tunes and driving hard, and the only problem I've had is the turbo was coked up, noisy, and sticking. I don't think the previous owner ever ran it hard enough to burn the crap out of it. Since it was cleaned, I haven't had any other problems. You can fix the EGR problems by bypassing it, something I still need to do myself.

I wouldn't be scared of the 6.0, especially an 06. The Cummins is a great motor, but the trucks just suck.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Serving Our Country!

My 6.0

All I have to go by is the way that mine runs, I am retired and like pulling our 16000 + fifth wheel and it does a good job of that.
Like Tech said the EGR sucks on the 6.0 and has to be cleaned ever now and then.
I still run my truck stock, with a 4in ex.and 5 in tip. You will want gages for it the first thing.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about an 05? Whats your oppinion on this? Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com Whats the chances this things goin to burn to the ground?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:59 AM

The 05s are pretty much identical to 06s, so you're fine with either. You can get an 05 with a lot less mileage than that for about the same asking price, though. One of the guys here just bought an 05 with around 50k on it for 18 something. It looks like you're looking for a dually. That will help you even more since the SRW trucks seem to be worth a little more now, probably due to their taller rear end and resulting better mileage.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech10002 View Post
I'd say the most common problems are EGR cooler and oil cooler related problems with headgasket failure a distant second. If you keep the truck stock, you're very unlikely to run into headgasket problems.

My truck has almost 60k on it, with the last 23k running tunes and driving hard, and the only problem I've had is the turbo was coked up, noisy, and sticking. I don't think the previous owner ever ran it hard enough to burn the crap out of it. Since it was cleaned, I haven't had any other problems. You can fix the EGR problems by bypassing it, something I still need to do myself.

I wouldn't be scared of the 6.0, especially an 06. The Cummins is a great motor, but the trucks just suck.
Are you running tunes with no studs on a 6.0? 23K... I just might get my tunes and when the head goes get studs then?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:14 AM

Yeah, no studs. I'll get them at some point, but I don't have any puking and no signs of headgasket issues. When I get signs, I'll do studs. Most of the time I run an eco or street tune, but the last few months I've been running strictly looney. I got a car to save fuel, so since I only drive my truck a couple days a week now, I figure I might as well be able to play with it.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Serving Our Country!

good to know, thanks.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

alright so i should be able to make alot lower offer on the truck. I really would like a king ranch but not alot of them available in my area, so lariet is what id be just fine settling on
Old 08-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I test drove the truck. Wow was i impressed. it had a few scratches on the bed side and a small ding in the passenger door on the bottom in the two tone. Only question i have is about the auto's. when it shifts into third while it's cold it feels like it slams into gear. Is it supposed to be that way? Idk if it was the way i was driven it cause i let off then got back into it a little. (so used to manuals) Do you guys think it would be a good idea to test drive a different one and compare the way they drive or is it normal to shift hard into the next gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.