problems installing by pass filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
problems installing by pass filter

Have 2005 Econoline 350 with 6ltr diesel. Decided to install Amsoil by pass filter.

So I get all the crap they suggest. New Billet cap.. HUM cap seems to be the perfect size to fit onto a pickup truck.. About 2 inchs to short to fit on the remotely located filter hanging off the side of the engine. Then got the oil fill cap beautiful but when I go to look at the fill cap it is 1/4 turn this one has 5 threads... Obviously again made for the pickup truck.

So I go looking for the oil sending unit or a port that I can pop out to install the bypass filter. No clue where it is located the plumbing on this engine is one layer upon the next.. cannot even get a clue if I were on wheel of fortune.

Has anyone ever installed a bypass filter on a 2005 econoline with a 6 ltr diesel?

It is like this is an orphan and no one wants to know a thing.. almost comical..
Then went looking for a 5 inch exhaust system.. OH you have a van.. OK Haha go away and dont darken my door...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Banned

I'm glad you posted, we have an E450, rv, with the 6.0 and adding a by pass was on my list.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Here's a maintenance sheet for the oil temperature sending unit on a 2005 E-350. Since it is still providing pressure from that port, go ahead and use that instead of the oil pressure sending unit. As far as the cap, you can drill and install the return system into your existing oil fill cap. I don't know what to tell you about your billet cap, other than the Amsoil dealer you are working with should make it right by you- (either replace or refund).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eot replacement.pdf (337.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 08-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledbalon View Post
Have 2005 Econoline 350 with 6ltr diesel. Decided to install Amsoil by pass filter.

So I get all the crap they suggest. New Billet cap.. HUM cap seems to be the perfect size to fit onto a pickup truck.. About 2 inchs to short to fit on the remotely located filter hanging off the side of the engine. Then got the oil fill cap beautiful but when I go to look at the fill cap it is 1/4 turn this one has 5 threads... Obviously again made for the pickup truck.

So I go looking for the oil sending unit or a port that I can pop out to install the bypass filter. No clue where it is located the plumbing on this engine is one layer upon the next.. cannot even get a clue if I were on wheel of fortune.

Has anyone ever installed a bypass filter on a 2005 econoline with a 6 ltr diesel?

It is like this is an orphan and no one wants to know a thing.. almost comical..
Then went looking for a 5 inch exhaust system.. OH you have a van.. OK Haha go away and dont darken my door...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve P
What is the Amsoil part number for the kit you were sold?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Amsoil kit

Bought the bmk-21 which is a single by pass with more fittings than one can shake a stick at.. Since the van has a box frame have to replace the bolts with 3.5 inch one.

This has been anything but easy. Seems that Amsoil does not have a clue that the parts on a van are totally different than on the pickups.

What I really wanted to do was to put on a dual remote unit... but they dont have an adapter to work with the remote full flow filter which is bolted and piped down to the side of the engine in the back drivers side.

Looks like about 20 minutes to pull all of the hoses and various pieces off the top of the engine just to get to the sending unit. Would be sweet if there were a plug on the side of the engine that had an oil galley that one could just pop a nipple into and then run the pressure hose from there to the bypass assembly housing.

As far as dropping the return line into the oil cap that should be easy.. don't think there is any real pressure going back since there is a restriction orifice in the bypass housing. Looks like the hole is perhaps 128 of an inch.. might be smaller than that. Supposed to flow about 5 quarts every ten minutes, but doubt that.

Steve
Old 08-10-2008, 11:27 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
I was just looking into it on Amsoils site. The billet caps are designed for the super duty trucks only. Did your dealer know that when he sold it to you. If you would like i will contact amsoil tech support and see what they offer for you
Old 08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

bypass filter

One would think that they would know.. I called amsoil to order the parts.. talked to the folks at the tech dept to get the right stuff..

Guess they dont know their stuff as well as they should LOL. I sent it back.

They will get it straight.. but I sure dont have a clue how to get this thing to work.

Spent a couple of hours pulling what I needed to to get to the oil temp sending unit. Turns out it is an odd size.. Seems to be NPT fitting .. but is about 1/16" smaller than the 1/4" fittings supplied with the bypass kit.

Not sure whether to sit laugh or cry. Has been an exercise in futility. Everything is the same but everything is different.. Go figure..

Anyone have a clue whether there is another port that one could pop into to get oil pressure to hook up the bypass filter.

The main filter on this thing is a no go.. just a remote location no way to hook into it. That said might be able to get another lower filter housing.. drill and tap it. Would not be the most elegant solution but one that might actually work.

Steve
Old 08-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Banned

I am really glad you did this before I did.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

by pass

Well after all said and done... here is the latest update.

Decided to order a new cap for the remote full flow filter. This should be in at the ford dealer this morning. $57 plus tax.

Going to have this drilled and tapped since I no longer have the eq to do this job.

Then will install a close steel nipple and an elbow. From here will drop into the bypass .. perhaps 15 inches away mounted externally on the box frame. Had to get 4" x 5/16" bolts to go all the way thru the box frame. The kit comes with 1" screws which is good if you have a c channel frame.

Return from the bypass will just drill and use the self tapping fitting into the side of the oil pan. Total run on the 1/4 tubing should be less than 4 feet combined.

Sometimes the battle is best fought as a skirmish.

steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.