Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

how to get studs done?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Snake 
#1 ·
hey guys, my 06 has 61,000 miles on it and before its out of warranty i want to get the studs done. i want to have the dealer do gaskets and install the studs at the same time. can some of you tell me exactly what you told the dealer to convince them to do gaskets and install the arp studs. thanks in advance. john

#2 ·
Wish I could help ya, but mine was a family connection. They did it as a favor.:dunno:

Some guys from here just flat out ask the dealer.:nod: It is usually a lot easier if you are having problems or sympoms of a problem. Most dealers won't do them, just to do them. For instance, even with my connection, I still had to wait for symptoms.:nod:

#3 ·
I need mine done too. I have 86,XXX miles now and don't want any problems after the warranty. I have a friend that will do mine on warranty in Miami, but that is a DRIVE. A serious drive. Guess I will have to bite the bullet and do it regardless....

*Also, what is the STC fitting? I was told mine needed that done.. Sorry to hijack..

#4 ·
*Also, what is the STC fitting? I was told mine needed that done.. Sorry to hijack..
Part of the HPOP, get it done if they are doing it under warranty. Ford released a new modified "improvement". Mine had to be replaced (just this week @ 40,000mi) along with some other connectors. They went out causing my truck to die on the road (loss ICP) and a no-start situation.

#5 ·
undo the valve covers and loosen some head bolts. when you lift the heads, then go get it fixed. hehee

NOTE: This is a suggestion...not that I would do it if my truck was under warranty.......

#6 ·
Most all these dealers are being watched under the careful eye:tard: of FOMOCO. I think they are getting smart on these mods. Can you imagine the warranty cost they have absorbed

#8 ·
Probably someday yes in all likelyhood. Whether that's at 50k or 250k miles who knows?:dunno:

nobody can give you a definate answer unfortunately, the old saying applies "if you want to play, you've got to be willing to pay".

#9 ·
Not definately, but a high chance you'll do em at some point with the looney.

#14 ·
In regards to the studs and getting them done under warranty.

Best way to do it is if you already have symptoms (coolant loss). If you DON'T have a symptom, you're going to have a hard time getting the truck into the shop. If you're already puking coolant, DON'T talk to the shop manager. Go find the diesel tech who is actually turning the wrenches. Tell him what you'd like to do and offer to hook him up with some $$ when the work is done. Remind him that you'll keep your mouth shut about the work, and then KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. There's a better than average chance that the tech who just hooked you up will lose his job if he doesn't have his manager's blessing.

--Snake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.