Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/)
-   General 6.0L Discussion (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/)
-   -   What's up with my turbo??? (http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/582586-whats-up-my-turbo.html)

ParkCity.PSD 11-03-2013 01:50 PM

What's up with my turbo???

Still having issues with not building enough boost. Today I pulled and cleaned the turbo as some had suggested. It really wasn't that dirty but I cleaned it anyway. I made sure the y pipe connection to the turbo is nice and tight with a ratchet strap and checked the pipes as best I could while the turbo was off to see if they were cracked or leaking. I didn't see anything and didn't notice anywhere that exhaust had been escaping. Put everything back together and same thing. I don't think I even saw 10psi this time but not sure because I was so pissed off after wasting an entire day for nothing. I'm at my wits end and beginning to understand how so many people get so frustrated with these trucks.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Could it be the VGT solenoid? How would I check? Or some other code that my Edge insight can't see? I'm not getting any underboost codes but it seems like I should be. Broken intercooler? Boots on the CAC tube seem fine and I've swapped them back and forth with the OEM and Riff Raff with no difference.

sinner6.0L 11-03-2013 02:52 PM

Could be the intercooler tank seals let go. Have you checked your cold side cac duct? Do you still have the factory black tube? They are known for splitting the bellows.

Also it could be a VGT solenoid or it could be internal to the turbo. I have seen the actual turbo cause low boost concerns for seemingly no reason at all.

Have you checked your intake nipple where the map sensor hose connects to?

robbyvanz 11-03-2013 10:10 PM

Check out this Youtube Vid from DieselTechRon on how to check your charge air cooler system for leaks.

The other issue you might have is a exhaust restriction. Does your truck still have a Cat? Another vid:

ParkCity.PSD 11-04-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sinner6.0L (Post 7107138)
Could be the intercooler tank seals let go. Have you checked your cold side cac duct? Do you still have the factory black tube? They are known for splitting the bellows.

Also it could be a VGT solenoid or it could be internal to the turbo. I have seen the actual turbo cause low boost concerns for seemingly no reason at all.

Have you checked your intake nipple where the map sensor hose connects to?

Thanks Matt

I've checked the Map sensor hose and the nipple and stuck a wire down in there to make sure it was clear. (it was) I do have the factory black tube on the cold side. I guess I should have pulled that tube when I had everything apart yesterday.

Now, I'm getting a p0198 for oil temp overcurrent and my aux fan is stuck on. I'm guessing I bumped something but have no idea what...

I'm going to try the trick from that video to check with an air compressor next. I can't tell if anything is leaking with the engine running and it doesn't build boost when just parked anyway...Thanks

Young-SC-Owner 11-04-2013 07:29 AM

It won't build boost without a load on it. It should build boost by brake torquing it, don't just mash the throttle, slowly lay into it

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

merkfalc 11-04-2013 10:23 AM

Check the plastic tube coming off the intercooler. I was having the same problem and I ended up finding a crack on the bottom of the tube. I don't know if it's the fix yet as I'm still waiting on the parts. Worth 10 mins to take it off and check it good though.

ParkCity.PSD 11-04-2013 10:29 AM

Will do. I'm really kicking myself for not checking it when I had everything else out yesterday...Oh well, I guess it's just pulling the air filter and pulling the tube

Young-SC-Owner 11-04-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merkfalc (Post 7113506)
Check the plastic tube coming off the intercooler. I was having the same problem and I ended up finding a crack on the bottom of the tube. I don't know if it's the fix yet as I'm still waiting on the parts. Worth 10 mins to take it off and check it good though.

Agreed, fixed two with that problem...pay close attention to the ribbed portion under the air box. It likes to rub

Young-SC-Owner 11-04-2013 10:33 AM

If the boost leak is big enough....you'll hear it

casper4203 11-04-2013 03:28 PM

When you had the turbo apart, did the unison ring move easily? Is the oval groove worn that the actuator sits in?