New here with a few ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 08:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New here with a few ?

Well this is not my first post but I wanted to say thanks for all the valuable information that this forum offers. I am kind of new to the whole diesel thing and have learned one hell of a lot over the last few weeks.

Now here is my question. I have a 2006 F350 crew cab short bed 4x4 with the stock 20's mounted up with BFG All-terrains. I have had the truck for about 1 month and love it but my millage has not as good as I remember getting in my dad's 04. I have been keeping the boost under 10 and I have been keeping the revs at around 1500. I have been running diesel kleen the gray bottle. I got a oil change, changed both fuel filters, clean air filter, put nitrogen in the tires, run the tires at 80psi and am only getting about 14.5 mpg. Is this to be expected I seem to remember getting closer to 17 with my dads truck but he did not have 20's. Is 14.5mpg expected or does that seem low? most of this driving has been city driving. The truck has about 28,000 miles on it.

Sorry for the long post but what aftermarket things should I add to the truck to improve the fuel millage. I have read intake, exhaust, and tuner are what I should do. If this is my best option what brands or models are best? This truck is used for hauling stuff around my farm and hauling a large camper. I am happy with the power but would like a little more economy.

Attached Thumbnails
New here with a few ?-img_5713.jpg   New here with a few ?-img_5712.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 09:04 AM
International Harvester

14.5 mpg city is about right. Intake, Exhaust, and tuner will help with mileage if you drive sensibly. I gained about 2 mpg with my setup. You will definitely want an SCT tuner from DJ's or Innovative. You will also want to get gauges when you get your tuner, EGT, boost, and Trans temp will help greatly.

The intake should be last of your mods, the stock 6.0 intake will be sufficient until you reach about 500 hp which will take a good amount of $$
Old 07-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

welcome to the org .......a tuner, turbo back exhaust and intake will help out with your power and should give you better mpg
Old 07-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so no intake for now just SCT and exhaust to get the best milage? Do I really need gauges if I am not looking to run any crazy tunes? I am happy with the power I just am looking for economy. Also will I need studs if I am running a economy tune? Is there a way to do all this without voiding my warentee? How difficult is it to place it back to stock to have warentee work done? Can i run a turbo back 4 inch exhaust with out a tuner? What is the best exhaust?

Thanks for the help. you guys are great.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbsavage View Post
Ok, so no intake for now just SCT and exhaust to get the best milage? Do I really need gauges if I am not looking to run any crazy tunes? I am happy with the power I just am looking for economy. Also will I need studs if I am running a economy tune? Is there a way to do all this without voiding my warentee? How difficult is it to place it back to stock to have warentee work done? Can i run a turbo back 4 inch exhaust with out a tuner? What is the best exhaust?

Thanks for the help. you guys are great.
Mileage: You may or may not see an increase with the SCT and exhaust, mine was negligible

Gauges: Minimum would be EGT/Pyro

Studs: Maybe, maybe not; mine not yet 42k miles I run ID Extreme Race as daily driver

Warranty: If they have to get into your engine they can tell you have/had a tuner, if not they should not be able to tell. Returning to stock is easy with tuner installed. In some cases if you remove your CAT they might void your warranty, depends on the dealer

Exhaust: You can run T/B without tuner. Most exhaust within reason are the same (mandrel bent). You have to decide on price and material ie. S.S. vs. Aluminized etc.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I assume T/B means turbo back. I am still learning these terms. Does the turbo back exhaust delete the DPF. If I did not get a tuner and got a turbo back exhaust with the stock kitty with a kitty delete pipe could I switch this in and out easly? and maintain my warentee. Will doing the exhaust only do me any good?

One other thing is there a easy way to eliminate the EGR without a programmer or permanently altering the truck. Again I would like to be able to return things to stock for warentee work. I am just trying to skirt the line of aftermarket and warentee issues. Thanks again

Old 07-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Raging Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewbsavage View Post
I assume T/B means turbo back. I am still learning these terms. Does the turbo back exhaust delete the DPF. If I did not get a tuner and got a turbo back exhaust with the stock kitty with a kitty delete pipe could I switch this in and out easly? and maintain my warentee. Will doing the exhaust only do me any good?

One other thing is there a easy way to eliminate the EGR without a programmer or permanently altering the truck. Again I would like to be able to return things to stock for warentee work. I am just trying to skirt the line of aftermarket and warentee issues. Thanks again

T/B is turbo back
On an 06 you do not have the DPF. You can get an exhaust with the CAT delete and put it in when needed, I did not. I took the gamble.
The exhaust IMO will not do a lot of good for mileage, mainly power (negligible) and sound. If you go with an SCT tuner the custom tunes will shut off the EGR. I don't know of an easy way to eliminate it.
If you don't idle a lot and watch your EGT's (keep them low) and do regular maintainance you should be fine with the EGR for a long time.
I suggest an SCT, exhaust and like I said at least a Pyro gauge.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks so much for your help. Just wandering what keeps the truck from smoking. I have not noticed any smoke and thought it was due to a dpf. Again I am new to the whole diesel thing.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Raging Lunatic

These new diesels are very efficient at using all the fuel, so the smoking is usually not an issue. With that said, you can get a custom tune that is designed to make a lot of smoke.
If you just take it easy and don't drive it like you stole it all the time, and you have a good relationship with a dealer you should be fine.
As far as the tuner goes it's really a lot of fun and easy to use, plus like I said ifyou don't have a reason to get into the engine the dealer will not be able to tell.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

But I thought the black smoke was the burnt diesel particulates and white was unburnt fuel. I see alot of trucks rolling coal and I thought that was burnt diesel particulates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.