egr delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr delete

hey guys, ive looked around but dont really understand what the purpose of the egr delete is? do you delete the egr valve and cooler? what are the advantages of doing so? what are the disadvantages to leaving it? who makes the best kit? and lastly, what does it cost on average to install it? thanks for the help, john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2008, 06:45 PM

The delete is to get rid of any problems the egr is prone to. There are a few ways, the best way is to remove the cooler and weld the up pipe shut and bypass the coolant. Another way is to use a sneaky plate (or whatever it called) which blocks the gasses from coming from the up pipe into the cooler. Not a full delete but easy and works decent I think. Also it looks stock if your under warranty.

Only kit I've seen is like 500 bucks and is like 15 bucks worth of steel. I'm doing mine now and I'm going to hack up the old cooler and weld each sides up. That way I can put one in incase something happens. Oh and bypass the coolant.

A full delete is the best, but if your wondering about money a sneaky plate might be up your alley.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmer22 View Post
hey guys, ive looked around but dont really understand what the purpose of the egr delete is? do you delete the egr valve and cooler? what are the advantages of doing so? what are the disadvantages to leaving it? who makes the best kit? and lastly, what does it cost on average to install it? thanks for the help, john
Are you serious!? I'm sorry, but there are tons of threads on this site about this modification. Here are a few I found on the first page of the general and aftermarket 6.0 forums. One even with the EXACT same title as this one.

Cause of EGR failure?

EGR delete

Egr Bypass Pipes?
Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroAero View Post
The delete is to get rid of any problems the egr is prone to. There are a few ways, the best way is to remove the cooler and weld the up pipe shut and bypass the coolant. Another way is to use a sneaky plate (or whatever it called) which blocks the gasses from coming from the up pipe into the cooler. Not a full delete but easy and works decent I think. Also it looks stock if your under warranty.

Only kit I've seen is like 500 bucks and is like 15 bucks worth of steel. I'm doing mine now and I'm going to hack up the old cooler and weld each sides up. That way I can put one in incase something happens. Oh and bypass the coolant.

A full delete is the best, but if your wondering about money a sneaky plate might be up your alley.

will a sneaky pipe solve the egr problems and is it a diy project. im mechanically inclined but dont want to mess up my daily driver. thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmer22 View Post
[/B]

will a sneaky pipe solve the egr problems and is it a diy project. im mechanically inclined but dont want to mess up my daily driver. thanks for the info.

It should help the EGR issue, may solve it but that depends on your plans for the truck. I did a sneaky pipe in my driveway with hand tools. You just need to plan out the project and take your time. It's not too complicated, just get under there so you can get an idea what tools you need and where everything is that you need to remove.

Helpful hints: remove the passenger side wheel, passenger wheel well liner and down pipe. Get the longest extensions you have, even consider buying another set. Be ready to spend some quality time with your truck.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM

im not doing any more performance mods only what is in my sig. i would be doing it so its as reliable as possible. does the intake manifold have to come off to do this?
Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
no the up pipe doesnt have anything to do with the manifold.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM

And wouldn't a pro to a delete be carboned up intake manifold issues later down the road not being an issue? I've seen a lot of upper ends with 100k+ on gas cars and wow. Makes you wonder.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBakerFX4 View Post
And wouldn't a pro to a delete be carboned up intake manifold issues later down the road not being an issue? I've seen a lot of upper ends with 100k+ on gas cars and wow. Makes you wonder.
im not sure I understand what you are trying to say with this post..
Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM

If your asking if carbon build up will be worse then no. It'll be virtually non existent with the exception of whats already been done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.