egr delete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-22-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
jcmer22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wilmington, MA
Posts: 239
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
egr delete

hey guys, ive looked around but dont really understand what the purpose of the egr delete is? do you delete the egr valve and cooler? what are the advantages of doing so? what are the disadvantages to leaving it? who makes the best kit? and lastly, what does it cost on average to install it? thanks for the help, john
jcmer22 is offline  
post #2 of 27 Old 07-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
AvroAero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bolton
Posts: 786
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The delete is to get rid of any problems the egr is prone to. There are a few ways, the best way is to remove the cooler and weld the up pipe shut and bypass the coolant. Another way is to use a sneaky plate (or whatever it called) which blocks the gasses from coming from the up pipe into the cooler. Not a full delete but easy and works decent I think. Also it looks stock if your under warranty.

Only kit I've seen is like 500 bucks and is like 15 bucks worth of steel. I'm doing mine now and I'm going to hack up the old cooler and weld each sides up. That way I can put one in incase something happens. Oh and bypass the coolant.

A full delete is the best, but if your wondering about money a sneaky plate might be up your alley.


2004 Ford Excursion 6.0
-SCT livewire w/ innovative extreme tunes
-Banks monster exhaust
-Zoodad
-05 conversion w/ harley headlamps & HIDs
-Viper 5900 remotestart/alarm
-ARP studs
-EGR delete
-Defender roof rack with 600W of light
-whelen hideaway strobes
-Sound off Predator dual red-red
-Whelen 500 4 amber 2 blue
AvroAero is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 07-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
DoubleDpsd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,579
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmer22 View Post
hey guys, ive looked around but dont really understand what the purpose of the egr delete is? do you delete the egr valve and cooler? what are the advantages of doing so? what are the disadvantages to leaving it? who makes the best kit? and lastly, what does it cost on average to install it? thanks for the help, john
Are you serious!? I'm sorry, but there are tons of threads on this site about this modification. Here are a few I found on the first page of the general and aftermarket 6.0 forums. One even with the EXACT same title as this one.

Cause of EGR failure?

EGR delete

Egr Bypass Pipes?

2003 centennial edition f250 4x4 ccsb auto w/blackwater long block w/arp's, 4" exhaust, airaid intake, ODawg's manifold, itp's reg return, sap modified solenoid, DC power 185amp alt, motorcraft 850cca, Warn Hubs, RS 55w 6k hid's, harley headlights, bpd 58v 6 phase, bpd water pump, dieselsite coolant filter, elc coolant, php gryphon, Xcal2 w/unlimited tow, new hfcm, glowshift fuel psi gauge, icon level kit, 20" kmc hoss, 305/55 terra grapplers TOTALED
DoubleDpsd is offline  
post #4 of 27 Old 07-23-2008, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
jcmer22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wilmington, MA
Posts: 239
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroAero View Post
The delete is to get rid of any problems the egr is prone to. There are a few ways, the best way is to remove the cooler and weld the up pipe shut and bypass the coolant. Another way is to use a sneaky plate (or whatever it called) which blocks the gasses from coming from the up pipe into the cooler. Not a full delete but easy and works decent I think. Also it looks stock if your under warranty.

Only kit I've seen is like 500 bucks and is like 15 bucks worth of steel. I'm doing mine now and I'm going to hack up the old cooler and weld each sides up. That way I can put one in incase something happens. Oh and bypass the coolant.

A full delete is the best, but if your wondering about money a sneaky plate might be up your alley.


will a sneaky pipe solve the egr problems and is it a diy project. im mechanically inclined but dont want to mess up my daily driver. thanks for the info.
jcmer22 is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM
N.S.D.Q.


 
HeavyAssault's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Middle VA
Posts: 4,817
Thanks: 26
Thanked 91 Times in 80 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmer22 View Post
[/B]

will a sneaky pipe solve the egr problems and is it a diy project. im mechanically inclined but dont want to mess up my daily driver. thanks for the info.

It should help the EGR issue, may solve it but that depends on your plans for the truck. I did a sneaky pipe in my driveway with hand tools. You just need to plan out the project and take your time. It's not too complicated, just get under there so you can get an idea what tools you need and where everything is that you need to remove.

Helpful hints: remove the passenger side wheel, passenger wheel well liner and down pipe. Get the longest extensions you have, even consider buying another set. Be ready to spend some quality time with your truck.


Officially The Biggest Midget In The Game
(In support of Zmann's request)

HeavyAssault is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
jcmer22's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wilmington, MA
Posts: 239
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
im not doing any more performance mods only what is in my sig. i would be doing it so its as reliable as possible. does the intake manifold have to come off to do this?
jcmer22 is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 07-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Abrannan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jacksonville,Fl
Posts: 3,352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
no the up pipe doesnt have anything to do with the manifold.

Adam Brannan

First Coast Diesel Performance

Abrannan19 is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 07-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
JBakerFX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,542
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
And wouldn't a pro to a delete be carboned up intake manifold issues later down the road not being an issue? I've seen a lot of upper ends with 100k+ on gas cars and wow. Makes you wonder.

'09 Tacoma CC/SB, TRD Off-road.

NRA member
One Nation Under GOD!
JBakerFX4 is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 07-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Abrannan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jacksonville,Fl
Posts: 3,352
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBakerFX4 View Post
And wouldn't a pro to a delete be carboned up intake manifold issues later down the road not being an issue? I've seen a lot of upper ends with 100k+ on gas cars and wow. Makes you wonder.
im not sure I understand what you are trying to say with this post..

Adam Brannan

First Coast Diesel Performance

Abrannan19 is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
AvroAero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bolton
Posts: 786
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If your asking if carbon build up will be worse then no. It'll be virtually non existent with the exception of whats already been done.


2004 Ford Excursion 6.0
-SCT livewire w/ innovative extreme tunes
-Banks monster exhaust
-Zoodad
-05 conversion w/ harley headlamps & HIDs
-Viper 5900 remotestart/alarm
-ARP studs
-EGR delete
-Defender roof rack with 600W of light
-whelen hideaway strobes
-Sound off Predator dual red-red
-Whelen 500 4 amber 2 blue
AvroAero is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome