Oil Capacity??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 03:26 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Capacity???

Man this is driving me crazy! How much oil does my truck hold? I'm trying to do an oil change, but I can't find out how much to put in? I'm thinking it's 15 quarts? Sound right???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yep its 15 qts.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

yup..15.............
Old 06-29-2008, 04:02 PM

The manual says 15 qts refill. It also says don't fill past the max point. Many people get to the max level w/ 14 qts. I would put 14 in and see where it lands. Add if you need to.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

Done, was just about 15 qt, and the line was inbetween max and min...
Old 06-29-2008, 07:06 PM

This is bothering me too. I've been doing my oil changes since day one and 14 qtys fills it up to the Full line. People swear it takes 15qts like the book says. I'm wondering if the dip stick is nothing very technical... and varies from each truck. I've been running 14qt's but debating doing 15 on my next. I mean.. heck Ford sells the oil for these things in 5qt jugs, 3 jugs is 15 exactly... just like the book says. Everything and a lot of people say 15 qts... except my dip stick which is saying 14. WTF. Ford needs to address this issue.

We really need to put this issue to bed. What do us 14 quart guys do???? How can we figure this out?? I think we need to measure the dip sticks precisely and also look at where the tube is inserted into the block... and see how far down it is. 1qt is a lot of oil to be varying. is there differences in oil pans?

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 06-29-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 PM
Serving Our Country!

I agree, I'm actually pretty lucky because my neighbor who's a Ford mechanic came home and he informed me to do 14 and go from there. I used the 1 gallon Rottella jugs and I ended up using 3 and 1/2 jugs...
Old 06-29-2008, 07:21 PM

topdwg- you said 15 qts put you "INBETWEEN" the min & max lines??? So your's takes 15.5qts, mine takes 14.0qts. I'm thinking the dip sticks are not a technical item. No way can the engines vary that much on the inside (castings, pans etc). Has to be variance in the dip stick or the way the tube is inserted into the block. From all my experieces from Corvettes, 4cyl crack boxes, regular mom & pop cars... the manual is always dead on. I remember my 89 Vette called for 5qts. Guess what... to the hair line. After a few changes I'd never check the dip stick at changes. Only inbetween changes. And I know a lot of dealerships have a computer oil dispencing system. they have overhead oil lines that dispence exactly the right amount.. 4.7Qts. So I'm betting the stick/tube is off. I might do 15qts next change, and then mark the dip stick. Either way it's a PITA to read... totally stupid.

Last edited by JBakerFX4; 06-29-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:39 PM

there is actually about 18 quarts.15 in pan and 3 in the hpop system,they say the oil circulates but its very poor circulation.9 out of 10 people never change this oil,i saw a 220k psd today come in and had the hpop oil changed and it looked like sludge,it was very thick and goey.its terrible for injectors.you should look into it.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Jon

!

Subscribing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.