Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil Capacity???

120K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  Tow Dog 
#1 ·
Man this is driving me crazy! How much oil does my truck hold? I'm trying to do an oil change, but I can't find out how much to put in? I'm thinking it's 15 quarts? Sound right???

#4 ·
The manual says 15 qts refill. It also says don't fill past the max point. Many people get to the max level w/ 14 qts. I would put 14 in and see where it lands. Add if you need to.

#5 ·
Done, was just about 15 qt, and the line was inbetween max and min...

#6 · (Edited)
This is bothering me too. I've been doing my oil changes since day one and 14 qtys fills it up to the Full line. People swear it takes 15qts like the book says. I'm wondering if the dip stick is nothing very technical... and varies from each truck. I've been running 14qt's but debating doing 15 on my next. I mean.. heck Ford sells the oil for these things in 5qt jugs, 3 jugs is 15 exactly... just like the book says. Everything and a lot of people say 15 qts... except my dip stick which is saying 14. WTF. Ford needs to address this issue.

We really need to put this issue to bed. What do us 14 quart guys do???? How can we figure this out?? I think we need to measure the dip sticks precisely and also look at where the tube is inserted into the block... and see how far down it is. 1qt is a lot of oil to be varying. is there differences in oil pans?

#7 ·
I agree, I'm actually pretty lucky because my neighbor who's a Ford mechanic came home and he informed me to do 14 and go from there. I used the 1 gallon Rottella jugs and I ended up using 3 and 1/2 jugs...

#8 · (Edited)
topdwg- you said 15 qts put you "INBETWEEN" the min & max lines??? So your's takes 15.5qts, mine takes 14.0qts. I'm thinking the dip sticks are not a technical item. No way can the engines vary that much on the inside (castings, pans etc). Has to be variance in the dip stick or the way the tube is inserted into the block. From all my experieces from Corvettes, 4cyl crack boxes, regular mom & pop cars... the manual is always dead on. I remember my 89 Vette called for 5qts. Guess what... to the hair line. After a few changes I'd never check the dip stick at changes. Only inbetween changes. And I know a lot of dealerships have a computer oil dispencing system. they have overhead oil lines that dispence exactly the right amount.. 4.7Qts. So I'm betting the stick/tube is off. I might do 15qts next change, and then mark the dip stick. Either way it's a PITA to read... totally stupid.

#14 ·
You are exactly right. No way the inside of these engines varies by more than an ounce or two at most. Drain everything completely, including the hoop, what ever that is, then put in exactly 14 quarts. Start the engine and let it run for a couple then add the last quart and mark this spot on your dipstick cause that is the max fill line. I'll bet money it turns out to be exactly where it should be on the stick and the reasons for the differences we are noticing is that oil is not being fully drained when changed.

#9 ·
there is actually about 18 quarts.15 in pan and 3 in the hpop system,they say the oil circulates but its very poor circulation.9 out of 10 people never change this oil,i saw a 220k psd today come in and had the hpop oil changed and it looked like sludge,it was very thick and goey.its terrible for injectors.you should look into it.:icon_ford:

#11 ·
The manual states to not fill beyond the maximum level on the dipstick. It also states to maintain the level between min and max.

Ford also issued a service message:

Oil Level Check Tip:
When checking the oil level on the 6.0, the vehicle must be on a level surface and the dipstick must be fully seated into the tube to ensure an accurate reading. Do not add oil if the level is above the "MIN" line on the dipstick. Broadcast Message 1512, 1574.

Not that I am skeptical of Ford, but when they had the recall on my 2005 to mark the min level in my coolant degass bottle as the new max level, I lost a little faith.

My opinion is you can satisfy all of the requirements by filling to the max level of the dipstick. If it takes 15 quarts - great. If it takes 14 - no big deal. The service message sends a clear instruction - that message is to wait until you are near the minimum before adding oil. Ford clearly does not see a risk until you are at minimum which is 2 quarts below maximum. However, the manual clearly warns against overfill.

I doubt that we will ever know exactly why some systems are 15 and some are 14 to the max level. Some say it is because dipsticks or dip tubes are not all made the same length. I say, maybe the amount left in the systems after draining may be different.

The main thing is, when changing the oil, to drain all you can out of the system:
- Get the oil hot by driving in the highway for awhile (15 minutes if you are going to collect a sample for UOA).
- Take off the filter lid and remove the filter before taking out the drain plug.
- Remove the drain plug (or open the Fumoto valve) and drain the oil.
- Let it drain for 15-20 minutes.

Then, refill to your individual max level point

Change oil at the recommended intervals (or sooner).

#46 ·
every 6.0L ever built read over full when they were new. put 15 qts in every powerstroke on the road. 7.3 , 6.0 , 6.4
thank you , not a single dipstick is gonna read exactly the same , im wondering where common sense begins and thinking way to deep into things begins, cmon guys a quart either way isnt gona hurt a thing

#19 ·
I'm with you. I drain the system properly and it only takes 14 qts to read full on the dip stick. Doing this meets all of the stated Ford requirements. I have no idea why you would fill past the max point on the dipstick (whether it is 14 or 15) - the advice in the manual is to not do this.

#23 ·
But nobody is telling us how to drain the HPOP at a oil change. Changing my oil with it roasting hot and letting it drain for 20 minutes seems good to me. I think the dip stick is a POS. I've never seen an owner's manual be wrong about capacity unless you run a aftermarket oil filter which in some cases changes size. I'm probably going to start doing 3 jugs of Motorcraft and call it good. Screw the stick.

#24 ·
In my opinion I feel that we are over thinking this whole mess, if it were an issue then FMC would advise us otherwise or not make good on warranty issues. So as dumb as I may be I will continue to change my oil and fill it until the dipstick reads full and never give it another thought until it's time to change again.
:icon_ford:

#25 ·
I agree, but I think what everyone is talking about is, we shouldn't have to just do that. Compare it to putting air in your tires. It's one of those things that's specific to the tire. It doesn't say "fill until full." Ford has identified our trucks take 15 quarts, not 14 1/2 or 14 3/4, but 15. I understand some of the oil will not ever come out when draining, but come on 1 quart is a lot, enough to where if it was happening to me I'd be curious to find out why. Just my two cents...

#26 ·
Just think eventually it will be full and we won't have to put any back in.
There will always be these anomalies and I don't see the reason for spending so much time on it.
It's kind of like the guys talked about in the other thread in the 7.3 section regarding draining the HPOP each time you change your oil, whats the point.

#27 ·
Ok so define full, what the dip stick is saying or what the manual says, which is 15 quarts???

14 goes in and it's full per the dip stick, but in reality you're running a quart low and the turbo burns up. I say this because that would be my luck...LOL

#28 ·
That's my point if the dipstick reads full and a problem occurs then it is up to FMC to make it right or prove otherwise. I mean what else do we have to go on?
For example if you get your oil changed at a lube center and they fill it til it says it's full and it's 1 quart shy they are not going to say anything, they just saved 1 quart.
And I guarantee, if you go to the dealership it will work the same way.
Do you honestly think that everyone watches them change their oil and then fill it back up?

#30 ·
you can bet ill be doing this also,whats another 3 quartz,im buyin it.there is 4 total videos,if you watch them all it shows the whole procedure.:icon_ford:

G
#31 ·
Oil

Just to add my 2 cents, I cant belive this thread went past 2 posts. A Powerstroke uses 15 qts for an oil change. Let me repeat 15 qts. That is what Ford tells us that is what they get 15 qts. A damn dipstick is not exact science, use it for a referance when you run your amsoil 20,000 miles and it uses 6 qts and you cant understand why your truck runs like **** or doesnt run at all. For example, estimated amount you are low on a 7.3 when the oil just barely touches the end of the stick is 3 qts. 15-3=12. That means there are 12 qts left in the motor. 3 qts low on a 7.3 is enough to start noticing a drivability concern and or oil areation. 12+3=15 which is how much a Powerstroke holds with a dipstick that is not 100 % exactly right on all trucks. Can it be explained any better then that?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.