Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Oil Capacity???

120K views 47 replies 14 participants last post by  Tow Dog 
#1 ·
Man this is driving me crazy! How much oil does my truck hold? I'm trying to do an oil change, but I can't find out how much to put in? I'm thinking it's 15 quarts? Sound right???

G
#33 ·
Well

I'll use this truck last week as an example. Guy ran his truck 17,000 miles on an oil change. The oil areated so bad it started using it. Truck came in as a not start, I checked the dip stick and it wasnt on the dipstick. I put 12 qts in it and it fired right up. Thats why we have a dipstick.:thumb:

G
#35 ·
Well

It goes like this, 3 qts low will not show on the dipstick. For all I know it was only 4 qts low. So after I got to 6 I said, well hell! I got to 12 and went ahead and swapped out the filter and topped it off. I would have never guessed it was that low. :dunno:

#40 ·
I actually haven't watched the HPOP stuff yet, but I did watch the 6.0 vs 7.3 vids, pretty interesting...

As for the oil change stuff, I apologize, I just wanted to know how much to buy/put in. I also didn't think it would go this far...LOL

Reactions: oxthegrunt
#43 ·
I really don't think that anyone could possibly believe an engine that holds 18 quarts will burn up when it is 1 quart low (or even two). One quart +/- is really of no consequence on ensuring proper concentrations of oil additive packages or on dilution of the wear metals that stay with the "dirty" oil. I know my UOA after 5000 miles still shows good, but I change it anyway due to viscosity shearing in the HPOP system.

As one person posting stated - keep it between min and max: 13-15 quarts (or for matter of continued debate 12-14 quarts). Ford specifically states all the way down to 13 is quite fine. SO, adding 14 quarts is also quite fine. For conservatism, just keep it between midway and full.

The only reason for the discussion is that overfilling is a documented problem. Trying to estimate a spot on the dipstick above the max to match 15 quarts is really of no value according to Ford (again they advocate anything between min and max is fine).

#44 ·
Then between max and min will be where it'll be. Thanks for the post...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.