Unplug EGR valve? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unplug EGR valve?

so i figured out that when i unplug my egr valve my truck stops smoking white as much. i only had it unplugged for a minute though. is it bad to drive for extended periods of time with the valve unplugged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 05:32 PM

I think it will throw a code if you leave in unplugged, not sure if it's bad for the truck though, if you ever get a SCT it will shut the EGR off for you
Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 PM

Well, for starters I think you want the valve itself in the closed position when you unplug it. Some other EGR Gurus can help you figure that out. You DO NOT want to have it open say 50% all the time now that it's unplugged!!
Old 06-21-2008, 07:20 PM

okay. i ask cause my truck has been having more issues since i got a new motor and when i tried unplugging the egr valve and driving it, there was no more white smoke and the lagging issue went away too
Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Rice Hunter

Some of us are welding the EGR Valve closed and plugging the up pipe closed with freeze plug. When you unplug EGR it is basically doing the same. Heat is trapped in the cooler and is deadheaded causing heat. There are a couple ways of deleting/ bypassing EGR found in Tech files
Old 06-22-2008, 07:50 AM

The 2007 10yr/100k powertrain warranty on my truck is the only reason' I'm not doing a full EGR system Delete and a SCT. I don't feel like paying for a set of head studs or any other items that might go.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:34 AM

Here's my input based on ONLY my truck.
I unplugged my EGR and things worked great for a while (at some point the darn thing will be forced open due to exhaust pressure) but eventually had to clean it due to running issues. I buggered an O ring on reinstallation (not knowing) and truck would run like $hit towing/hauling heavy producing turbo farts etc.. I took out EGR to clean again and it was very sooty, this is when I noticed the Oring. Went to NAPA and got new Orings, cleaned EGR, reinstalled and using EGR shutoff in my SCT file it's been great eversince.
That paragraph of issues is over the course of 3 years time. I now know beyond any shadow of doubt that improper EGR function is the cause of many performance related issues. The best/simple fix for you is to get a couple $6.00 EGR Oring gasket sets and keep them on hand for cleanings. Unplugging it wont hurt a thing BUT if it aint 100% sealed (which I don't believe it can do) truck wont run 100%.
EGR flat sucks, no way around it. I plan on doing the whole removal in the near future.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:44 AM

Something else I wanted to add. I was made aware of my leaking EGR by Terry Dyson reading my oil analysis. I been using him for 5 years. At the time my truck seemed like it was running fine but my UOAs weren't perfect. After he had me check it I did the O ring fix and my next sample was awesome. An EGR leak WILL add to oil contamination.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:05 PM

how will i know when my egr valve is in the closed position? and i want to do the full delete cause my sct doesn't like that mod, but i still have the warranty thing.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:40 AM

according to other forums i read the default position for the egr valve is closed, so with the truck off, unplug it and it will stay closed til it is plugged back in, im going to try it when my dad get back with MY truck, he loves driving my rig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.